knife making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
That looks quite interesting. You should play around with hardening it & stick some scales on it . It will be excellant practice and will give you an interesting talking point. I dont know anybody with a copper knife.

Cheers
Nick

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
The nearest size ive got in 01 tool steel is 500mm long by 40mm by 4mm to make my woodlore ( full size ) . The 3 little ones are from 500mm by 25 by 3mm which cost me £10.00p from a steel shop in bristol. 01 is easy to use with handtools.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i would like some of the stuff that you are using to make your woodlore, where did you get it from and how much did it cost you
leon

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
I made is 7 years ago the steel came from then same place. price, too many years ago. phone around your local steel marchants for a price good luck.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i was looking at crom wells but i got confused by all the numbers lol, i am looking to make a replica of a woodlore what steel shall i use
leon

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
http://www.toolsteels.co.uk/PDF/gfsnet.pdf try this site Leon,
Thats the sizes of the steel in mm on the first sheet, I think the woodlore is 3mm thick, and you would need a piece about 30-40mm wide. The lengths are all 500mm long. I've had no problems dealing with them by email or by phone (I'm sure that's the same for other suppliers). This is the link to their site http://www.toolsteels.co.uk/, you'd be looking for Ground Flat Stock (GFS). Good luck, I like the copper woodlore!

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
o1tool steel is use in the real woodlore knife. the tool steel come 500mm long by wot width and thickness you want. i.e 500mm by 40mm by 4mm.
we dont get crom wells?

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
shall i get 4 mm thick, 500 mm long and 4 mm wide
would i be able to make a woodlore out of this
leon

OldBaldGuy

Aug 6, 2004
California, USA
I have "made" a lot of knives out of kitchen knives. Go to thrift shops, yard sales, etc (I assume that you have those over there), you can get good high quality carbon kitchen knives for a dollar or so all the time. I then just use an erasable felt tip pen to draw on the blade 'til I get a shape I like, then use a Dremel with a cut-off wheel to slowly (so as to not heat the blade too much) cut through the blade just outside of your lines. When that is done, use a file to bring the blade down to final shape. They you have to file a bevel, that is the hardest, and slowest, part of the whole deal. Don't file down to the actuall cutting edge, stop just before you actually form a cutting edge, and finish up with stones. It's a lot of work with a file, but you end up with a pretty usable knife for a small amount of money. For the stongest knife, be sure to get a full tang knife to start with, many kitchen knifes only have a partial tang...

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i am making a sami knife first and then after i will get back to making my woodlore copy
leon

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Leon

The Kay Vikstrom pattern that I sent you was forged to 2.5-3mm thick at the spine. The wooddie is ground from 4mm and my own wooddie was made from 1/8" 01 steel. There is not a great deal to tell between the various thicknesses so I really would not dwell over long on the problem.
I will say make sure that you get a good length of steel, you will DEFINITELY want to make more when youve finished the first - guaranteed.

Cheers
Nick

PS I actually think I prefer the 1/8" as a good optimum if you are making scandi and woodies from the same stock - but it really makes little difference

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have just emailed toolsteels.co.uk and asked about buying some 500mm x 40mm x 4mm, this should be ok shouldnt it ?
how much knives could i get out of this ?
leon

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
You can get 2 woodlore size knives out of that, 30mm X 4mm X 500mm is what you want
Cromwells is very quick I use loads of 01 at most it takes 2day's to deliver look under ground stock and you will find this size quite a way into the list.
good luck with it :)

www.msknives.net &

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
has anyone got a template of a knife which has 1 finger notch and a blade about 4 inches long which they could send me as i would like to make a woodlore and another knife out of my steel
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
well i am now printing off that template, i adjusted the sizing a tiny bit
i just need some steel, would b&q sell O1 tool steel ?
what one to make first lol, i might make the new one with a finger notch first as i love the shape
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
heres my sami knife
sorry it is the only pic i have at its present stage and it was taken by a phone, its the third one down
first4kniveshp4.jpg

leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
im going to take the knife round to my dads mates workshop and we are going to try to finish the knife, he said that if we filled the end hole with araldite and cut the end of the tang off that would hold up ok, what do you think?
im going to wait to buy the steel untill after christmas
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE