Knife making competition-entrants list and entrys only

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Here's my entry for the competition.

A beautiful blade that I bought from Dave Budd a couple of weeks ago (I hope i've done it justice) , a piece of flat brass bar from Ebay, an off cut of English Oak flooring from the Theatre I work at most of the time, a 4mm piece of studding and a knurled bolt off of a broken set square, total cost.....less than £40.

This was todays project at work as I didn't have the drawings I needed to build the next theatre set! Unfortunately I finished it at home and forgot to bring a hacksaw home to finish the bolt on the end of the handle, so seeing as i'm not back at the workshop 'til after the 7th thought i'd post anyway!

I hope you all like........:)

Just added a couple more pics with the tang now trimmed and a first attempt at sheath making (so add £5 for the leather) which i'm pretty pleased with!!

DB1.jpgDB2.jpgDB3.jpgDB4.jpgDB5.jpgDB7.jpgDB6.jpg

Last edited:

leighwill

Dec 30, 2011
middlesbrough
Have to drop out sorry folks, life got in the way again.
But on the plus side there are some very nice looking blades getting made well done to everyone.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
This is my entry, my first attempt at making a knife
It’s a modified MOD survival knife
I bought the blade blank a few months ago and had most of the other bits lying around
The blade blank I’ve modified by removing some of the swell in the blade itself and reduced the bulk in the handle as well as taking the top rear corner off the handle .
The handle is based on the Syderco bushcrafter which is, IMO, the most comfortable knife I’ve used – ever. The Syderco is in one of the photos as a nod to the inspiration and to show the size of the MOD knife in comparison.
The mix of Tufnol and fibre spacers show the shaping of the handle nicely. I much prefer a handle with a palm swell in 2 directions (vertically and breadth) for both looks and comfort in use.
Sanded down to about 2000 grit and finished with a paracord lanyard with 3 floating turks head knots to synch up to the wrist as needed
In addition I also plan to make a firesteel handle from the offcuts to match using an oversized fero rod and a kydex sheath.
As all the materials are man-made it seemed daft to make a leather one.
Blade blank £25
Blue and black fibre liners *
Tufnol sheet *
Brass bolts and tubing £3
Total cost £28

I hope you like

2012-12-16154201-1.jpg

P1020335_zps969694d9.jpg

P1020332_zps579f8d12.jpg

P1020336_zpsb737fa85.jpg

P1020346_zps0c912b46.jpg

P1020341_zps59ad6565.jpg

P1020356_zpsefc84ac5.jpg

P1020349_zpsf72e3368.jpg

And my dog wanted to get into the mix too
P1020358_zpsb1a5b177.jpg

Thanks for looking

Mark

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Theres only me and Brancho in our catagory who seem to be having a knife in it. Not sure if Brancho is still in as he said not... 2 hours left for me, might not make it in time. Trying though :)

2 hours, 50 minutes....and cooooooooooooounting.

No pressure mark lolol!

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hey Guys,

Finished my knife in the nick of time, But haven't got the chance to make some photo's that do the knife justice, so here are some of the crappy photo's I made before finishing it.
Tommorrow in the afternoon I will post some better pics of the finished knife and that post will also include a whole list of "why did I do that" things.
But till then here is the unfinished, badly photographed, in horrible lighting, Knife:

DSC06717.jpgDSC06718.jpgDSC06723.jpg
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE