Knife lore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
All interesting stuff. I'd always been taught not to use other people's axes, I figured it was just good manners rather than 'bad form'. I've never heard the knife thing though, which is bad as I gave my father a knife for Christmas this year! I feel like I need to ask him for a penny now! :)

Jim

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It's something I was always taught too and I keep to the tradition. Same way with handshakes - to shake with your left shows true friendship as it shows that you've laid down your shield (or secondary dagger in some circles) and truly trust the person. Similarly there's the custom of handing back a knife handle first so that you get cut not the recipient - a sign of trust. Also an old saying of stirring liquids or powders with a knife is often considered unlucky. One rhyme says, "Stir with a knife, stir up strife".
They do say that in chivalric circles it was considered bad form to shake hands with the same person more than once as as you had shown your trust you didn't need to show it again.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not a custom I've ever adhered to myself but there was one of not using a knife on a Sunday or New Years Day. Some of the more hard line Calvanist folk of Scotland would prepare all the food for Sunday the night before to adhere to this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE