Knife law change?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Our friends at the guardian have an interesting article about two strikes and your out policy for knife possession. I can't find any info on if this supersedes section 139 or not, but it's something we should perhaps be aware of.

Alas we're not allowed politics here so I won't go into how we're seeing just what the lib dems did for 5 years... I digress.

Thought it might be worth the heads up.

J

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i haven't heard anything about it, but I don't see the 2 strikes and your out as a problem. If you are stupid enough to break the same law three times in a row, then you deserve to be punished!

jmagee

Forager
Aug 20, 2014
Cumbria
But I'm guessing the fact that you still have a suitable reason to carry one means the above doesn't matter.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
But I'm guessing the fact that you still have a suitable reason to carry one means the above doesn't matter.

I think your guess is an accurate one; this is not a change in the law at all but a change in the sanctions applied upon conviction. Anybody carrying with lawful reason is in the same position as previously and those of us who use a modicum of sense will not have a problem, in my view.

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
Apparently it's a warning on the first offence and your nicked on the second offence with a possible prison sentence, which means that when we want to practice our Bushcraft I think this could cause us a bit of a problem......or have I got this completely wrong?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Apparently it's a warning on the first offence and your nicked on the second offence with a possible prison sentence, which means that when we want to practice our Bushcraft I think this could cause us a bit of a problem......or have I got this completely wrong?

It will only be a problem if you are breaking the law. Theres no change to the knife carry laws, just the punishment for those that break them
Carry a knife within the EDC laws or with good reason and you'll be fine

Its not a warning on the first offence, its the situation you are in.
Carrying a knife tucked away and in a case on a camp is one thing, but carrying that knife, say on your way home from the pub tucked in to you belt within reach is an offence. The police dont have to prove you guilty as you have the knife on you. First time of not, you will be charged.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Does anyone have any idea on the legality of carrying a credit card knife? I got gifted an Ian Sinclair cardsharp and while I can see it's handy for if I forget to carry a knife and need a sharp little blade, I'm not sure where I would stand under the confusing grey area that is knife law. I know it isn't a prohibited weapon but do you think it would be seen as me trying to conceal a blade where I would argue it's being kept in a wallet for the opposite reason so it isn't readily accsessible.

I also love how the knife pictured in that article would be a prohibited weapon full stop. Although I do like the damascus finish on it. Isn't it strange through licencing I can keep shotguns in the house, and a kilo of black powder. But can't have a balisong with a sharp blade. Although flipping the blank blade uk legal ones has done wonders for my hand eye!

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
If they are legal to buy in the uk... and the blade is 3" or less, and non locking, then its perfectly legal to carry as an EDC. The handle is a little different is all. The concealed blade thing is no different than having a SAK in your pocket....

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Maybe Mik was thinking ita like mini.daggers hidden on belt buckles? (which are hidden and illegal.)
Certainly I used to carry.a card.type in my wallet. But very easy to forget its there and head for a plane, pub or suchlike.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Maybe Mik was thinking ita like mini.daggers hidden on belt buckles? (which are hidden and illegal.)
Certainly I used to carry.a card.type in my wallet. But very easy to forget its there and head for a plane, pub or suchlike.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

That was my exact concern mate yes. Like a sword cane where the problem is it's disguised as another item. Don't mind having it on me in the pub it's not exactly a busy lively pub, and very country friendly. But aircraft is a thought wouldn't like to explain that in departures

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
... But can't have a balisong with a sharp blade. Although flipping the blank blade uk legal ones has done wonders for my hand eye!
Yes you can. The prohibition is on possessing one in a public place, purchasing or importing. If you already own a balisong and have it at home (which is not a public place) it is perfectly legal. I was gutted when I moved house and realised I'd lost my balisong and could not buy a new one!

Last edited:

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
If they are legal to buy in the uk... and the blade is 3" or less, and non locking, then its perfectly legal to carry as an EDC. The handle is a little different is all. The concealed blade thing is no different than having a SAK in your pocket....
Isn't the issue with a credit card blade (or any of the Swiss Army Knife type credit card storage system type blades) that they are fixed blades? While their cutting edge is less than 3" they do not fold. Therefore they are fixed blades and require good reason to posses in a public place. A police officer is unlikely to accept "just in case" (assuming they are so much of a jobsworth that they grip you for it in the first place!).

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Yes you can. The prohibition is on possessing one in a public place, purchasing or importing. If you already own a balisong and have it at home (which is not a public place) it is perfectly legal. I was gutted when I moved house and realised I'd lost my balisong and could not buy a new one!

I herd that if you already have one that predates the ban it's legal to have at home just not sell or carry. Still I suppose the blank blade one I shouldn't complain about as it would never get used as a knife anyway. And carrying one I wouldn't bother if it was legal they aren't a massivly practical item

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The ones i've seen have folding blades. Though looking closer... they do seem to have some way to lock the blade in place.

Isn't the issue with a credit card blade (or any of the Swiss Army Knife type credit card storage system type blades) that they are fixed blades? While their cutting edge is less than 3" they do not fold. Therefore they are fixed blades and require good reason to posses in a public place. A police officer is unlikely to accept "just in case" (assuming they are so much of a jobsworth that they grip you for it in the first place!).

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
I still have a flick knife and sword cane at home from my student days in the '80s. Just be be safe I recently checked with a couple of serving police friends. They confirmed that I'm in the clear and it's perfectly legal to keep them at home.

On the balisong front, I found mine very practical as a way to have a one handed open/close knife with zero risk of it folding on your fingers when in use. You needed an expensive/well made model to avoid the flexing you'd get from the two pivots when hard used but for day to day use it was fine. I used mine on sea fishing boats when tending nets and the like. I was gutted when they became the plaything of the football thug (can't spell houligun!) and got put on the prohibited list.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE