Knife handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mike 01302

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2010
doncaster
I need a little advice please. I have bought a knife blade with a full tang but its the type that gets tapped repeatedly with a ball/pin hammer to secure the handle not the riveted type, my question is this how do i get the timber handle down the tang without splitting it ? is it just a simple matter of drilling the handle or is there a specific technique thanks for any help and ideas mike

mike 01302

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2010
doncaster
aha so purley for astetics i think antler would look nice. The epoxy would that be something like araldite or the like ? thanks mike

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Araldite will do nicely. Antler looks great with some leather or fibre spaces inbetween that and the main handle.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Mike
You have a stick tang blade by the sound of that with a long tang. You can shorten the tang if you like and not keep it the original length. I will post some pictures tomorrow if you wish and links to some tutorials when I am not at work.

What type of blade is it and what materials do you already have.

Edit look HERE for a tutorial

Last edited:

mike 01302

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2010
doncaster
ooohhhh this looks a lot harder than what i first thought lol at the moment i only have the knife blade, on the second post first tutoral that is an amazing blade (the one with all the swirls) wow

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Mike
have a read through the tutorials and see how to construct a knife but dont get hung up on teh use of belt sanders and pillar drills etc the just make the job quicker and easier.

All the tools you need are a drill with a small bit say 3 mm, a rasps, files and sandpaper.

Do not try and be overy complicated with your design but do not try a one piece handle. depending on what blade you have will decide how easy the job is but its not that hard. A factory blade and a factory bolster makes it easier BTW.

So what is the blade you have a name and isze and/or pictures wil help.

The tutorial with the blade with the swirls (damascus) was done by a genious of a knifemaker do not expect such things from yourself.

This is my first knife it has gap between the antler and wood and the handle is far too big but it will always be that way as it was my first but all could be sorted easily if it was necessary.

Myfirstknife.jpg

Last edited:

mike 01302

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2010
doncaster
i will get the gaffer to post some photos of the blade lol do you have any advice of wood to use for the handle i particularly like the look of the wood grain where it swirls and twists dark and light (sorry if these are not the correct terms to use :) )

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
This was my first one, best I can say is just go for it.

myfirstknife.jpg

It's all a learning process and the best way to learn is to do it. You'll make mistakes, but will learn.
I have to point out it is addictive. I've made four so far and I've got blades to make more.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE