knife blades?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rg1984

Feb 24, 2007
Lockerbie
Question?

I recently got a new knife for my birthday. I was carving a few sticks in the garden with it and wondered ... Is this the sharpest the knife blade will ever be? I mean ... can you make it sharper than the factory has made it?

Can anyone answer this question?

Cheers.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
The chances are it can be sharper, what knife is it??

Also the are different types of sharpness just to make things more confusing

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Almost without question you can make it sharper. Certainly any kinfe I carry will be sharp enough to not only shave with but to literally "split hairs". Thats probably me being obsessive but I do like a sharp knife. Someone was recently surprised when I shaved a feather stick finely enough to light it with a spark from a firesteel. It was fun to show just how sharp an axe should be :D!

Have a look at the sticky "£5 Sharpening Kit" thread for some tips on how to go about it

Red

rg1984

Feb 24, 2007
Lockerbie
Shinken said:
The chances are it can be sharper, what knife is it??

Also the are different types of sharpness just to make things more confusing

Its a beretta knife. cant put a pic on at the moment but quite pleased with it.Its like a bigger version of this little knife which you can see here.

http://bestknives.stores.yahoo.net/berettatasca.html

I've got a wee gerber sharpener which you pull the knife through. Its got rougher diamond coated bars on one side and a fine diamond bars on the other.

Anyway thanks for the tips guys. I'll give it a shot.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Ive not had experience with these knives. But most knife factory's sharpen to a wire edge which will feel sharp but not hold it at all. And they are often too low a grit.

Gransfors bruks seem to have a reputation for a very sharp factory edge, but even then you can most definitely get them sharper

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE