Kit thats come and gone ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Well, here's another one for you: neckerchiefs. The kind you wore when you were a scout with your handcrafted slide. They seemed to have been regarded as necessary in the first few decades of the previous century. Most photos of "outers," hikers and campers (happy and otherwise) from that time period usually show someone wearing neckerchiefs, cowboy style. I don't know when they came in but I don't recall G.W. Sears mentioning them. But others did.

These days, there's the shemagh. I don't know if they're still in or out. For that matter, I don't know if anyone is still hanging on to their camouflage face veil or not.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Those huge thick hell hansen pile jackets.

'sweaty helly' thermals with the white bars on the sleeves. We all wore them when canoeing in australia and good grief did they stink. No washing ever completely removed the smell.

Welted boots with steel shanks.

Peter Storm polyurethane jackets. Absolute sweat-bags. You were never sure if the jacket leaked or it was sweat.

Black plastic sighting compasses.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Well, here's another one for you: neckerchiefs. The kind you wore when you were a scout with your handcrafted slide. They seemed to have been regarded as necessary in the first few decades of the previous century. Most photos of "outers," hikers and campers (happy and otherwise) from that time period usually show someone wearing neckerchiefs, cowboy style. I don't know when they came in but I don't recall G.W. Sears mentioning them. But others did.

These days, there's the shemagh. I don't know if they're still in or out. For that matter, I don't know if anyone is still hanging on to their camouflage face veil or not.

I think the "buff" and other snood type jobbies have taken over there.....these are hugely popular over here

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Buff is a brand of headover, snood, neck tube or whatever you want to call it....you lads must have something similar over there?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think the "buff" and other snood type jobbies have taken over there.....these are hugely popular over here

Yeah, buffs are really good things when it's chilly or below, but they certainly haven't taken over from shemaghs and neckerchiefs, both of which I either wear or carry with me almost all the time.

I've used the shemagh as filter, carrier, bandage, towel, splint binder, hand protection when handling hot stuff and all stops in between :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
but they certainly haven't taken over from shemaghs and neckerchiefs

Gotta disagree there mate.
More buffs are sold and worn than neckerchiefs by a country mile.....when was the last time you saw a big rack of neckerchiefs for sale in a camping, outdoor, cycle, or motorbike shop?

Remember, I didn't say they had taken over in the sense of usefulness...only in popularity

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
I'm not English, you know, so someone's going to have to translate some of this stuff. What the "buff" and other snood type jobbies mean?
Hi BlueTrain here in the U.S.A we tend to call the wool head overs / Buff's "Neck gaiters" .. "Buff" is just a company name for their product, they make trendy wool head overs in different colors etc..i have two Buff's in O.D. since I can't find a real British one over here...vince g. 11B Inf.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
'sweaty helly' thermals with the white bars on the sleeves. We all wore them when canoeing in australia and good grief did they stink. No washing ever completely removed the smell.
I have one from about 27 years ago that still gets used. I'm never one for keeping using things if they don't perform so the fact I'm using it means it's still performing. Smelly Helly is polypropylene which is still one of the most highly wicking materials available to outdoor clothing manufacturers. It's something like 100 times more wicking than nylon base layers or something similar. I used to know the figures on this that compared cotton, merino, nylon and PP. It's this wicking property that made it the best option for kayaking, which is why I got mine as a kid. It stretches so much too. The modern versions don't have those stripes down the arms but there's a little hint of them left. They're supposed to be treated so are less smelly. It's all down to preventing odour causing bacteria from growing.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Sir,

You are a soldier of a certain age.

I myself was always partial to Bacon Grill, (that makes me a soldier of a certain age).:You_Rock_

Man I loved all of them chicken curry, bacon grill and them nasty sausages from the 10 man packs, although you would never eat them if you saw what they looked like as you pulled them out the tin. Also as a side note, you would not need a number two for as many days.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire

Face veil? HELL YES! I still wear mine all the time, especially at work, just to wind all the WO's up. My boy also runs about with it on all the time too, usually accompanied with shouts of SNIIIIPEEEEERRRRR!

Oh and my Shemagh is always firmly in my kit too!😄😄😄😄😄

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Man I loved all of them chicken curry, bacon grill and them nasty sausages from the 10 man packs, although you would never eat them if you saw what they looked like as you pulled them out the tin. Also as a side note, you would not need a number two for as many days.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

10 man Sausages.....😱😵😷🙊💀 Noooooooo, they were bloody awful, how could you? LOL.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I recently made some large cotton bandanas for a member here, for just that purpose.

...and they are absolutely brilliant - wash well, wear well, protect well!

Commercial bandanas are pathetically small, Ian's are superb - large enough to tie as a necker, wear as a hat or even cover your face whilst sticking up a stage coach

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Bacon grill - baby's heads! Sliced and fried only though! My arteries may still hold evidence somewhere; so much happier when boil on the bag came in

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Bacon grill - baby's heads! Sliced and fried only though! My arteries may still hold evidence somewhere; so much happier when boil on the bag came in

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

I just bought two tins from the local B&M tonight, om nom nom :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE