Kit Recommendations please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Chaps,

I'm looking to get a couple of items before my next outdoor course at the end of this month, I'm after a fleece mummy liner for my sleeping bag, and a wind/weatherproof suit for if its raining as last venture out i was damn cold and got rather wet - then even colder.

Go Outdoors have this liner which tbh looks good:
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-fleece-mummy-liner-p143957#descTabSect0
can be used in the summer instead of my 3 season bag too so ace, has anyone got this and is it any good, are there any you would pick over this one?

second is the weatherproof suit. i've looked into some german goretex but tbh i'm 6'2" not your average german 5'1" so nothing is apparently going to fit...
is there a thing where the german army only employ short people with small feet?

anyhoo i was looking around and found this:
http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/waterproof_oversuit.htm
seems pretty good however again i need recommendations for a decent set of waterproofs and i'd really appreciate your input/links/advice.
ideally i'm after an oversuit rather then an integrated thing?

thanks!
pete

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Useful post - I currently have the same things on my list of stuff to get.

Regarding the waterproofs, I am thinking about a poncho as I am long in the arm so jackets are often too short. May not be very practical wear for 'doing stuff' though.

However, the waterproof 'boiler suit' should work well and is used by motorcyclists (I have one - though not a bike at the moment...) so think about trawling the biker shops. They are about the same price as shown in you link.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ive got a snugpak fleece liner,cracking bit of kit that i shall be using this weekend, as for the rusmilitary waterproof suit ive got that and i wouldnt bother its cheap pu coated nylon and its like wearing one of those sauna suits. Im 6ft3 and ive had german goretex stuff before now, got it from www.flecktarn.co.uk twas a long time ago mind but you could ask if theyve got out your size in stock,also strikeforcesuplies do goretex jacket and trouser unissued at a good price,and sasskit i think still do a waterproof jacket/trouser combo again got one and its infinately better than the rusmil job.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
well as far as goretex suits go then its a tossup between the Endicotts DPM/olive stuff or flecktarns german stuff.
i'm going to have to call each shop and see what i can get.
cheers!

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Right, it appears no one has tall and on the large side available, well thats a lie they have tall and REALLY wide..
i need a 190/112 for my jacket, no-one appears to have any, only 190/120's
however i DID find on ebay the following:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280451290854&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

has anyone had any experience with the CS95 stuff? i know technically they designed this as a liner jacket rather then an external hence the lack of pockets but i should be alright wearing it outside right?
i can always ADD pockets to it (i'm thinking breast and arms)
can anyone advise?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I would skip the military wet/wind gear.

A decent windproof layer and a decent waterproof layer are soooo worth it in the long run.

And you can get quite good hardshells for very little money these days thanks to the ebay.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE