Kit Options for the C2C

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Morning Gents,
I'm undertaking the C2C next year as a means to shed some timber and raise a bit of money for charity. Anyway I'm looking for suggestions on kit, I already have shelter, sleeping bag, pad and cookset sorted but am looking for pointers on backpack, bivi bag, pocho/water proof and maybe a cheap wind break. It is important that I point out that I'm tighter than a camels bottom in a sandstorm.

Thanks in advance for any help

Artic Bob

Feb 1, 2018
Marches
i'll be honest, i think you're going to struggle.

the C2C is a serious walking proposition, if you aren't already used to walking long distances with a rucksack filled with everything you'll need for a week on foot, then the route - 200 miles of the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and North Yorks Moors - is going to be very hard work indeed.

in terms of kit i'm afraid i have more bad news: unless you're going to be doing in the height of summer (and can pick and choose exactly when you go according to the weather forecast) then you'll soon discover that a tarp/bivvy arrangement isn't going to work out - you'll want a tent, as light and as small a tent as you can find, and i'm afraid that a poncho won't work either - up high its too windy for a poncho to work, and you'll need a full set of waterproof jacket and trousers. it gets very cold in the hills in heavy rain...

the Vango DofE series of tents have a good reputation, and will cost you about a hundred quid or so. if you want to save a bit on a rucksack, go on fleabay and get a Berghaus Cyclops Roc. its simple, indestructable, weighs about 1.4kg, and is remakable comfortable even carrying relatively heavy weights - that will cost somewhere between forty and sixty pounds.

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
i'll be honest, i think you're going to struggle.

the C2C is a serious walking proposition, if you aren't already used to walking long distances with a rucksack filled with everything you'll need for a week on foot, then the route - 200 miles of the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and North Yorks Moors - is going to be very hard work indeed.

in terms of kit i'm afraid i have more bad news: unless you're going to be doing in the height of summer (and can pick and choose exactly when you go according to the weather forecast) then you'll soon discover that a tarp/bivvy arrangement isn't going to work out - you'll want a tent, as light and as small a tent as you can find, and i'm afraid that a poncho won't work either - up high its too windy for a poncho to work, and you'll need a full set of waterproof jacket and trousers. it gets very cold in the hills in heavy rain...

the Vango DofE series of tents have a good reputation, and will cost you about a hundred quid or so. if you want to save a bit on a rucksack, go on fleabay and get a Berghaus Cyclops Roc. its simple, indestructable, weighs about 1.4kg, and is remakable comfortable even carrying relatively heavy weights - that will cost somewhere between forty and sixty pounds.
Cheers Bob, I'm no stranger to walking with a pack on my back (ex squaddie) and will be going at the end of May. I'm quietly confident with my tarp set up and can fully enclose it if needed, I'll also have my bothy bag as back up. I'll have a butchers at the cyclops I used the crusader for years and it served me well so I have confidence in the brand. I've also been looking at the quechua bags as I have lots of their kit and it's always exceeded it's price point. I'll probably go down the road of full waterproofs if the poncho will create problems. Thanks for the advice it's certainly been taken on board

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Have a look on Youtube, you may have already watched him but search for Haze Outdoors, he did it this year and posts his kit list up somewhere, good luck, something that's on my list to do at some point.
As for cheap and light, Decathlon do a great range, both LW and modest prices.

Reactions: nobby8126

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Have a look on Youtube, you may have already watched him but search for Haze Outdoors, he did it this year and posts his kit list up somewhere, good luck, something that's on my list to do at some point.
As for cheap and light, Decathlon do a great range, both LW and modest prices.
Haze is one of my favourite channels mate and his vids are what have made me decide to do it, he has a bit more spare cash than me as I have 4 kids bleeding me dry so the osprey is off the table as is the neoair pad. The quechua stuff is defo one I'm looking at. Might even bump into each other on the trail

Reactions: bopdude

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE