Kit advice for woodlore course.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
The one bit of kit I would recommend is a decent (Petzl Tikka or similar) head torch. I took an older type when I did the fundamental and it really wasn't up to the job, especially when a mist dropped down at night.
I also suffered a panic attack while sleeping in a leaf-litter shelter on the same course. Talking it through with the instructors the following mornig it was suggested that a tea-light set just outside the shelter entrance could help ease this.
Finally, a decent metal mug like the crusader, teamed with the patern 58 water bottle plus the plastic mug that comes with it, is just about all the cooking/eating ware you'll need.

I hope you both have a great time. I know I did!

Dave

P.S.- B&Q starter cord is perfect for the bow drill, much better than paracord, so a couple of metres of that each is a good thing.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
There's some great advice above. Just to recap from when I did it in the summer:
- Bowdrill cord
- String/paracord
- Gloves
- Decent head torch
- Notepad and pencil
- Couple of heavy duty bin liners for foraging for kindling
- Small bags for tinder etc
- Camera
- Luxury item for morale boosting (I took a coffee filter, you might want a few choccy bars etc)
- Cash or a credit card if you want to buy anything from the Woodlore store when that turns up

But it's not really about kit, in fact quite the opposite. You should come back realising just how much you can do without. I went with a 125l bergen and a 30l daypack. When the course was over, I threw out the stuff I didn't need and found I had space left over in a 75l pack, so that's half what I thought I needed before.

Oh, and keep a change of clothes, snack etc in the car for when you arrive back.

Tobes

forestwalker

Oh, and keep a change of clothes, snack etc in the car for when you arrive back.

And if you are finicky; a tube of mechanics hand cleaner is great for getting the last of the campfire grunge out of your hands. Actually, since most of it is fat soluable, a small container of olive oil or vaseline (or oil based personal lubricant...) would work as well.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
You'll love the course, but be ready for a long week: the instructors rate Fundamental as physically tougher than the Journeyman course. You're on the go from 7am to 11pm every day, and will sleep in a number of different places. The lighter you travel, the more fun it is.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You'll love the course, but be ready for a long week: the instructors rate Fundamental as physically tougher than the Journeyman course. You're on the go from 7am to 11pm every day, and will sleep in a number of different places. The lighter you travel, the more fun it is.

I'd agree with that. If you think you're going to have time to sit and read a book forget it there just isn't time. It's a great course and you'll really enjoy yourself on it.

Although you're supplied a knife (mora clipper) that's your's to keep if you've got your own personal kife that you want to take that's fine so long as it's a sturdy knife (the instructors will check them) and as Tobes said take some morale boosting luxuries that pack tight and light :)

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Oh - when the instructors tell you to get your gear ready for a little walk, remember to grab some teabags rtc for your brew the next morning.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE