King Alfred's Cakes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mack13

Jul 15, 2013
Wiltshire
Hi all, walking through local woods we came across this log with King Alfred's Cakes growing on it. We weren't sure what the other pinkish ones were but guessed they were possibly immature King Alfred's Cakes as they were same shape, as solid as the King Alfred's, and had black areas on them.
Are we right or are these something different?

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f39/Mack13isunavailable/P1000322_zps2abe3165.jpg

Cheers
Mack13

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
You are right. When immature they are pinkish-purple. They can still be used as they dry perfectly well, but I prefer to leave them so that there will be more in future.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Another vote for you being correct, that's a nice example of mature and immature fruiting bodies.

I haven't found any this year in the places I would expect to see them.

Mack13

Jul 15, 2013
Wiltshire
Thanks for the replies.. We left them where they were and took pictures only. The area where we found these was abundantly covered with them. I may return next year for a couple to add to my firelighting kit. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE