Kids with knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rcs

Forager
Jul 24, 2008
Pill
Spent today teaching knife and Axe safety to my youth group, i was a bit nervous at the start of the day if I'm honest, 11 to 19 olds can be a challenge at the best of times to keep control of, more so in big groups, nerve wracking doesn't even come close. I calmed down pretty quickly once i got home though:rolleyes:
I think it all went really well, the kids all managed to make a spoon and no one lost any limbs:D
IMG_5997.jpg

IMG_6005.jpg

IMG_6004.jpg

cheers all,
Rob

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Well done but kids generally arent that bad at listening when its something different from the norm and they obviously did what they were supposed to.

It was nerve racking teaching Japanese scouts this sort of thing when they all said they couldnt speak english. my Scouts use knives regulalrly though and love it.

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
I feel we need more of this understanding about 'sharps' here in the UK, as they do in Sweden. Show them the proper use as I have with my daughters, then they come to respect them for what they are.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Some really good efforts there. You must have been well worth listening too, and well done for rising to the task of inspiring teenagers :)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
great work there chap.

i would never have dared to let my youths (princess trust groups) loose with anything sharp, it really would've been asking for trouble

......when they all said they couldnt speak english.........
how?

cheers

stuart

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Well done...Nothing wrong with sharps and kids, just need eyes in the back of your head....;)

What's the youth group?

Jus_like_that

Forager
Apr 9, 2008
burton
www.jltknives.co.uk
Really nice to see kids being educated in this. It would be nice if it was introduced into the curriculum, to give everyone the chance to try a great hobby and learn to respect sharps.

Some real good spoons too. The first time I tried to teach the Littlun to make a spoon, we ended up making tooth pics!!! Must be my teaching!

ATB

Adam

rcs

Forager
Jul 24, 2008
Pill
Well done...Nothing wrong with sharps and kids, just need eyes in the back of your head....;)

What's the youth group?

A well done from you means quite a lot mate, thanks for that.

The group is from my local youth drop in that runs out of the resource center i work at, its the first of four Saturdays planned for this month, next Saturday is bow making and the week after that is fire by friction. The last one is a night out in self built shelters, it should be fun. To be fair its not just Me that does all this, theres a team of five workers to plan and supervise these things.

cheers,
Rob

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Trust me Rob, its never just one person... without the support I wouldn't be able to do a tenth of what we achieve as a group. Post some pictures from the other sessions, sounds good.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Great job mate. I'm doing a bit of this myself tomorrow night to a local teenagers wildlife group. Bit of a demo, and then get them to carve a spatula. Also got some wood slices to make coasters from, and there will be a guy with a pyrography kit too. Bird box making, dream catchers, bit of a crafty night really. Looking forward to it.

Always nice to see people showing the younger generation some practical skills.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE