Kelly Kettle Plug

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
:)
Hey Guys
what can I use as a preservative for the cork plug in the above. Can it be oiled or what?

Tutchi
:cool:
P.S. I have an old kettle and have two plugs both of which have dried up a little.

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Toddy said:
Might be easier to just buy new ones. I find dirty corks scrub up well with a nail brush and fairy liquid. If I need to sterilise them I use camden tablets.
http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/cat41_1.htm
Cheers,
Toddy

Looks good. I have e-mailed them for the depth of corks they can supply. My kettle is a very early one and has a water flask as well. It fits up inside when being transported. The spout in the new kettles are a different diameter.

Thank you
Tutchi

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
I'm not positive about this but can't you boil a cork to rejuvenate it?
I'm fairly certain that I remember doing it many years ago on cork gaskets.
might be worth a try if you'replanning on changing it anyway.

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
nobby said:
I'm not positive about this but can't you boil a cork to rejuvenate it?
I'm fairly certain that I remember doing it many years ago on cork gaskets.
might be worth a try if you'replanning on changing it anyway.

:)
Hi nobby
problem is design of old corks were far better than now. Recent one has only one cork and it is designed from cork. My ones have plastic tops and the cork must be stuck to it. It is a far nicer looking design altogether. Just gave it (kettle) a clean up ready for the hol's and it is looking like new. I bought it way back in the late 60's afair and it cost £8.50. It also has a flask for transporting the water which stores up inside the kettle.

Cheers
Tutchi

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
When I am using my Kelly Kettle I keep the cork clean by hanging it on a little "Y" shaped stick (like a fishermans rod-rest) next to the kettle. This keeps it off the ground and less likely to pick up dirt or get trodden on. Lets face it, you're pretty well guaranteed to havea supply of little sticks to hand if you are using a Kelly !

I contacted the Kelly Kettle Co. some while ago to suggest the possibility of a made-to-measure water carrier that fitted inside the flue of the kettle and/or a screw cap for the kettle itself so that water could be carried in the kettle without danger of leakage. I realise that a screw cap would prove even more dangerous than the cork if left in whilst the kettle was lit, but as people have found to their cost, even leaving the cork in can prove very painful. I was not aware that the kelly used to be available with such an inner container. The reply I got from the K.K Co. gave no indication that they had once sold them, but stated that they may look to produce them "in the future"...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE