Just tried butter fried hogweed shoots!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
Somehow I'd missed cooked Common Hogweed as an edible! Just tried a couple of shoots from a plant that I know definitely isn't the Giant variety (very important!). All I can say is this weed may well change my mind over green vegetables! Excellent flavour and good texture. Assuming they stay down and I stay out of hospital tonight (;-) it comes highly reccomended *if* you're absolutely sure of the ID and *if* you're not allergic to celery.

All that butter that I cooked it in probably won't do me much good however :)

Peter

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Now try Japanese knotweed......supposedly like rhubarb ? I've eaten raw hogweed shoots as they are unfurling. Yummy.

Nailed Horbury Bridge rapids .....wooooooo

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I am the only one the house that will eat hogweed shoots. i think they are lovely. I wouldnt eat them raw though they cause a rash with sunlight the same as parsnip does, but not any where near as bad as gaint hogweed.

I must of over done knotweed, they make my kidneys hurt now.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
sounds good but frying in butter is surely not a valid test for flavour, fried in butter is like coating something in chocolate.

I've got a great little foraging book and each plant has a recipe attached that involves frying the foraged goods in little bits of bacon and states it is delicious this way :lmao:i am sure the book is correct but the bacon must surely take some credit for the deliciousness

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE