Just made some of Hoodoo's jerky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
I found a link to Hoodoo's jerky the other day and mentioned it to my friend who breeds British Whites. She generously donated a piece of sirloin to the cause and I spent an hour on Sunday sprinkling (black pepper, crushed chillies and garlic powder), slicing (UK penknife, recently sharpened to hair popping) and bashing (old wooden spoon ;) ) followed by overnight in the fridge in a marinade of home made Sriracha, soy and a dash of mesquite liquid smoke.

Last night I carefully calibrated the fan oven, set it to 50 deg C and hung my strips of jerky-to-be. Jumped out of bed this morning for the tasting... would it be OK? Had I ruined a rather nice sirloin?

Well... let's just say I won't be buying any more pre-made jerky. :D

Thanks for the recipe Hoodoo, I'd send you some but it's all gone!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
pteron said:
Thanks for the recipe Hoodoo, I'd send you some but it's all gone!

I think I should get a cut for every batch made. At least one slice. ;)

Glad you enjoyed it. It's a fun way to make jerky. When I make it overnight, I always enjoy waking up to the smell of fresh-made jerky in the house.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Cool recipe, might have to try that.

Out of interest, how hot does it have to be to make jerky outside, drying in the sun?

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
I made my first Jerky the other night. Its great stuff, I have never had the bought jerky to compare it with but it tasted just fine to me.
Im not sure if its actually cheaper for me because beef is very expencive in germany :( , and im not sure about the electricity bill after having the oven on all night.
Its too tasty to complain though :lmao:

Thanks for the recipe Hoodoo :You_Rock_

Andy

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Bisamratte said:
I made my first Jerky the other night. Its great stuff, I have never had the bought jerky to compare it with but it tasted just fine to me.
Im not sure if its actually cheaper for me because beef is very expencive in germany :( , and im not sure about the electricity bill after having the oven on all night.
Its too tasty to complain though :lmao:

Thanks for the recipe Hoodoo :You_Rock_

Andy

Don't forget to send me my cut... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE