Just how does it affect you?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
After Dunblane the Duke of Edinburgh said
" it's a good job he didn't use a cricket bat "

The French have a saying " you can't legislate against mad men "

Did they ban 8oz. ball pain hammers after Sutcliffe ???

Rhodri

Forager
Nov 12, 2004
Suffolk
Neiltoo said:

I read that one too. You can just smell the journalistic spin...

In a Mori survey 29% of young people in London schools admitted having carried a knife; one 16-year-old boy in five had attacked someone with a knife, intending to hurt them seriously.

Under what circumstances was the second question asked? Have 20% of 16 year old boys really done that?

Statistics - powerful in an argument and very easy to misuse :rolleyes:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Mantic said:
Instances of knife related crimes go up as do firearm related crimes (not sure how that happened since the government baned pistols, et al - :cool:

It is often said and/or implied that Government “got it wrong” in banning licensed ownership of handg-ns whenever the subject of increased g-n crime is mentioned. They did not in the context of what they sought to achieve and I say that as someone who walked into Sevenoaks Police Station some years ago with a rather fine “Limited Edition S&W .44 Special” and came out empty-handed.

The fact is they have been 101% successful in ensuring that never again does someone walk into a school with a LEGALLY held handg-n.

Draw you own conclusion with regard to what president or otherwise this sets for the interests and freedoms of certain minorities – among which we might include hairy men in woolen shirts mooching about woodland with “bl--dy great knives”?

Cheers!

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Well, not entirely true. You can still own black powder pistols, rifles, shotguns, air-rifles, crossbows, bows, slingshots, et al. All have been used to kill people but they haven't been banned.

I disagreed with it then and I do so now.

BTW if you came out empty handed, then you were robbed - I presume you are forgetting the compensation...... :) I handed my Glock 17 in at Hereford - no compensation for me but at least it's still in use on the range. :rolleyes:

If the government was that interested in saving lives then it would increase the legal age for driving. It doesn't, simply because of the terrible PR it would cause. Ultimately, when you pass more laws you get more law breakers and society, through an increased loss in 'rights and freedoms' (I use those terms with great caution) becomes weaker as a result.

On another note, we have a road nearby, upon which a couple of young lads were tragically killed whilst driving. A number of people have argued (fortunately without success...so far) that 2/3rds of the accidents on the road occur after dark - consequently it should be closed during night hours.

The mind boggles. Don't they realise that closing it after dark might stop accidents happening at night but all of a sudden, 100% of the accidents which occur will be during the daytime :(

Of the 'let's ban knives' brigade, I heard this not so slong ago. More than 50% of knife attacks are caused by knives longer than 6" - therefore all 6"+ knives should be banned. Can you see where I'm going with this.

I kicked up a stink when they banned pistols but knives! Gods! I have to draw the line somewhere.....'not unless they <mutter> pry it from my cold <mumble mutter> dead fingers'.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
When I used to be involved with black powder weapons you needed not only the relevant Shotgun or firearms certificate but also a licence to aquire (or aquire and keep or have your home as a powder store) the black powder.
The need to have a fire inspection or police man so I could have 500g of gun powder was obviously greater than inspecting or licencing those who buy £1000 of fireworks

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
You're not wrong there m8. Mind you, there are some American States where owning firearms is legal but owning fireworks is not.

Go figure :eek:

laurens ch

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
south wales united kingdom
The knife amnesty does not affect me directly the problem I have with it is that it enhances the view that knives are weapons amongst the general public. For example I was collecting some nettles the other day with the help of a knife and had to take a good look round to make sure there were no people walking there dogs. (there wasn’t probably because it was raining )If I was to use a knife in front of someone I would at the very least expect to be given a dirty look and that’s not nice. Luckily I live in an area where I can get away from the beaten tracks if I wish too, but I’m not sure if everyone can do this.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
laurens ch said:
The knife amnesty does not affect me directly the problem I have with it is that it enhances the view that knives are weapons amongst the general public. For example I was collecting some nettles the other day with the help of a knife and had to take a good look round to make sure there were no people walking there dogs. (there wasn’t probably because it was raining )If I was to use a knife in front of someone I would at the very least expect to be given a dirty look and that’s not nice. Luckily I live in an area where I can get away from the beaten tracks if I wish too, but I’m not sure if everyone can do this.
I wouldn't pick nettles where dogs are about, they might be er contaminated.............Jon

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Bump laurens ch (and JP :) ).

It's truly stupid that we have to be careful doing something which is totally legal. It's not just the media or the government - the Police have also been guilty of issuing information that is incorrect or misleading. Hey, even some PCs haven't a clue about knife laws and regulations.

Not necessarily their fault mind, but still a problem that could do with being addressed (imho).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Jon Pickett said:
I wouldn't pick nettles where dogs are about, they might be er contaminated.............Jon

:D
It's like picking brambles, if in doubt, always take them from above dog peeing level & not near football grounds :rolleyes:

Nettles thrive in nitrogen rich soil; landscape archaeologists can use them as an indicator species for finding old byres and the like.

Cheers,
Toddy

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Mantic said:
Well, not entirely true. You can still own black powder pistols, rifles, shotguns, air-rifles, crossbows, bows, slingshots, et al. All have been used to kill people but they haven't been banned.

I disagreed with it then and I do so now.

BTW if you came out empty handed, then you were robbed - I presume you are forgetting the compensation...... :) I handed my Glock 17 in at Hereford - no compensation for me but at least it's still in use on the range. :rolleyes:

If the government was that interested in saving lives then it would increase the legal age for driving. It doesn't, simply because of the terrible PR it would cause. Ultimately, when you pass more laws you get more law breakers and society, through an increased loss in 'rights and freedoms' (I use those terms with great caution) becomes weaker as a result.

On another note, we have a road nearby, upon which a couple of young lads were tragically killed whilst driving. A number of people have argued (fortunately without success...so far) that 2/3rds of the accidents on the road occur after dark - consequently it should be closed during night hours.

The mind boggles. Don't they realise that closing it after dark might stop accidents happening at night but all of a sudden, 100% of the accidents which occur will be during the daytime :(

Of the 'let's ban knives' brigade, I heard this not so slong ago. More than 50% of knife attacks are caused by knives longer than 6" - therefore all 6"+ knives should be banned. Can you see where I'm going with this.

I kicked up a stink when they banned pistols but knives! Gods! I have to draw the line somewhere.....'not unless they <mutter> pry it from my cold <mumble mutter> dead fingers'.

Clearly I didn’t make my point as well as I could have but please be in no doubt that I too most certainly do not agree with what was done here. I simply alert people to the president set by this change in law and how Governments are willing to ignore the interests of certain minorities when political expedience is the order of the day. Yes, I forgot the bit about black powder pistols but this aside the ban has still been totally successful for only a fool could have failed to see this law had nothing to do with curbing the type of gun crime stalking our streets each day and everything to do with the understandable demand of the parents & families of those children murdered in Dunblane and, it must be acknowledged, many UK citizens who have no interest in shooting etc.

With regard to compensation I most certainly received monies to cover the item’s value but in no way do I feel this comes close to compensating for what my fellow shooters and I lost that day. "Robed” is indeed a more aprpopraite word when I reflect on the loss of this particularly freedom and for many (I am predominantly a Rifleman) an interest that was a way of life.

Cheers

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Yup Klenchblaize, I did miss your point. Just as much my fault m8!

That piece of politcal maneouvering hurt a lot of people, so for those involved, we're somewhat paranoid about the current signs concerning knife ownership.

Martyn - I wasn't suggesting that we shouldn't have to be careful with knives, just that we shouldn't have to fear taking advantage of what is a legal right. I was suggesting that we shouldn't worry about using knives in a safe and legal fashion. How many of us here use knives out in the open but with fear of someone from the general public misinterpreting the law / our actions and thinking that we're breaking the law? How many of us take a quick look around to make sure that some ignorant soul isn't going to appear out of the bushes and proclaim that our actions are illegal, immoral, thugish, etc? I've read similar comments from several BCUK members so I know that a sense of paranoia is felt by many.

It saddens me that we should feel this way doing something, which if performed safely and within the law, really shouldn't get associated with the terrible acts which a tiny minority of *&^%$%£$@! seem intent on doing.

Hope that makes sense :)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
ArkAngel said:
My wife used to work in our local A+E as a nurse. We are not classed as a bad area (indeed last year i believe my little town was voted 2nd best place to live in the country) but the stabbings she dealt with as a consisted of :

Kitchen knives
Stanley and craft knives
Chisels
Screwdrivers
Scissors

Stabbings involving "combat" blades accounted for less than 1% of all injurys. I realise this may buck the national trend but i can only speak from <her> experience.

I'll agree with that from my own experience, most fatal stabbings, if not all, that I have witnessed have been from kitchen knives.

Strangely enough, I have never experienced 'glares' or comments from people when using a knife, ever. I have to carry very sharp knives around with me every day, and usually they are covered in human blood from multiple sources... SOCO (or whatever PC name they have nowadays) would have a field day with my car boot contents!! ;)

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
What is it with your politicians and banning things? I shake my head in dispair.

Come on down to New Zealand, bring all your knives and air rifles, rifles etc etc and enjoy our ourdoors.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
i was the victim of an attempted murder last june when some nutter opened my car door whilst i was about to go and collect my wife from the doctors and stabbed me in the neck 4 mm from my jugular then tried to cut my throat but was diverted up to my lip leaving me with a bit of a scar and an overwhelming paranoia to lock my car door now every time im in it, not forgetting the plastic surgery i have to get to fix my muscles and nerves etc. but when my car was taken away for forensics i informed them that i had a knife in my glove box ( paul baker bushcraft) and explained to them what it was for only to be told that i had nothing to worry about as i had a legitimate excuse to have it and there is no worry in having it in my car. i think also the fact that we as bushcrafters spend quite a bit on our knives and no more about what steel etc they are made of that we have our excuse to have the knives. i believe all of us are aware about where and how we use our knives. it also shows how thoughtfull we are that even though these stupid amnestys are going on, and we have nothing really to fear from the current uk knife laws ( we have our legitimate explanation to have a knife) we are still willing to discuss in length on topics such as these. laws that are in place to try and stop criminals from doing what happened to me, not to stop us from doing what we all love. amnestys will never stop knife crime, the tools never do the crime, it is the hand holding the weapon that need to stop and if more time was spent on getting these people then life could get better. also if the police wanted an amnesty on knives, then what about the baseball bats, golf clubs, screw drivers, chisels, and hammers too!! the police do a fantastic job but i feel that their resources are wasted on such public campaigns. my attacker has never been caught nor do i think he ever will. i am resigned to that fact. i know though that an amnesty would never stop what happened to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE