Just completed my first fishing net

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
After some tuition from Mors at the "Bushmoot" i have just completed my first net.

Fishingnet-2.jpg
[/IMG]

For the floats I have used Poplar bark (similar to the stuff we were using at the moot)

Fishingnet-1.jpg
[/IMG]

and for the weights I used pieces of Elder, stones and cordage.

Fishingnet-3.jpg
[/IMG]

I used hemp figre for this one, but for the next I intend to make natural cordage :rolleyes:

Reactions: tomtom

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Kevin

The net looks good mate. Good to see you have not forgotten how to make the net as you promised to teach me sometime (remember). I have owned a copy of the 'Botany in a Day' book for a few years now and have found it really usefull. It helps you to identify family groups before an individual species making the process of plant IDing easier.

George

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Did you catch anything :D

Looks great, something to be very pleased with. :)

I had a go at netmaking...but got frustrated with it far too quick. That has inspired me to try again.

leon-1

Nice work Kevin.

I seem to recall something with reference to net/line colours. It was something to do with the colour of particular matter in the water ie; if the water has been through peat it takes on a brown hue due to the particular matter floating in it, thus line with a brown tinge to it blends better.

Red in very clear water shows up black due to the way that light is reflected and absorbed, places like the sea blues and greens blend better.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Fenlander said:
Thanks for the comments :)

I'm also making a very fine three strand plaited fishing line out of cows tail hair at the moment. It's only a metre long so far and I feel it needs to be at least twice that length to be useful.

nice net mate very good
my own cordage net ison my project list too

a 2m braid you'll never catch out with that :D my horse hair one is 6m long and that's just about use able
how many strands in the braid ? mine starts at 4 in each line then at 1.5m drops to 3 and at 3m drops to 2 for the next 3m

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Just out of interest, how many man hours are there in the net and is making your own cordage a relatively straightforward task for a generally competent person ?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nice job that Kevin, you are going to have to be careful you don't get it snagged on something under water now, let us know how you get on fishing with it...........

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
nice net, how long did it take you to make it? and have you caught anything with it?
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE