Just completed my Apache 16

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
It's been 6 years since I last paddled and have since moved to Devon and gotten married so the time came to get another canoe.
Permission was granted at Christmas for me to order one so I rang Stu and ordered a bare hull and have spent the last week fitting it out in total it has cost me around £380 which I think is a bargin.
I'm no carpenter so their are a few gaps etc. but they will allow water out and air to circulate:rolleyes:.
i am now ready to explore the estuary catch some fish and do some cooking.

Before oiling
20150206_152418_zpsudtpf03a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Oiled up up kneeling mat in ready to go
20150208_125101_zpshxh81qte.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Dave

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Nicely done Dave, Stu makes nice hulls for people to put their own mark on. Like the kneeling thwart design I reckon you will put it on hangers at some point.
Any chance of a close up of the decks? i might be able to let you know what the skip wood is (I am leaning towards it being walnut by the colour) :)

Rob.

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
I haven't paddled this yet but the thwart seems ok hight wise I can get my size11s under it easily so no entrapment issues but I'll see how it goes.

i had one of Stu's first canoes and loved it happily did grade2 and played in the surf.

I'll take a pic of the wood that doesn't show my poor woodwork it does look nice oiled though

Dave

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
very nice, was it a long complicated job? or fairly straight forward

Not really it can be done more simply if you don't make scuppered inwales but basically I cut the ash to size then screwed it on I bought the hull back on a Sunday and it was ready to go a week later I did around 3hrs an evening. I have got some step by step pictures if your interested.

dave

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
Thanks guys it's the first one Stu has done this shade of green I wanted to be visible on the estuary. I am really wanting to get out and about this year and learn some skills hopefully I've not forgotten how to paddle.

Here's the deck wood any ideas what it is?

20150211_145848_zpsjy4yedur.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Dave

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Brown oak. Grain and colour is the clue, colour results from a fungal attack in the growing tree. So my first suspicions were incorrect.
Nice detail around the painter hole, simple and easy on the rope. :)

Rob.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
That is fabulous was going to do one but got a hou 14 from bournemouth canoes instead as they were doing 15% off so add to that no vat and was good deal saved it gets here on the ferry tomorrow so hope to fetch it Friday

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE