Jupiter Wildlife Centre

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Jupiter Centre -Scottish Wildlife Trust Grangemouth

A great little Wildlife Centre with wild woods and a variety of activities for kids and adults. We were pond sampling as part of my Gardening and Technology class. We have built birdboxes, fixed a Nurseries Bottle greenhouse, explored the Woods etc etc.

Video from the News on TV showing what's about at this time of year.
http://www.stv.tv/weather/76530-winter-wildlife-at-jupiter-garden
Surprising how much lif there was about, love Caddis fly larvae and the Water boatmans. If anyone wants links to the free downloadable ID sheets etc, PM or post up. The centre has abundant Bird life and is a palce you can just turn up and have a wander. Lots of cool willow furniture, tree canopy shelters etc.

SU1BRzE1MjUuanBn.jpg

The white tray below was just bigger than A4 size for scale.

[video]http://s1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/NickScots/?action=view&current=VklERU8wMDczLjNncA.mp4[/video]

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry SCR, I missed this the first time round.

I keep hearing about Jupiter, all positive things I hasten to add, from assorted friends.
Looks beautiful, I really must get over for a visit someday.

Thank you for the photos :D

cheers,
M

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
It is worth the visit if your passing up the M9, it's a few minutes from the motorway. It's a peculiar place, a wildlife haven right in the middle of the largest petro-chemcial area in the UK. But you would not know that as the tree coverage etc masks it. Apart from the occasional freight train noise, all you hear is birds singing.

It's cleverly laid out with small zones - taste, smell, eat, ponds etc.

If you do visit, the mosaic bollards inpsirred by nature in the Jupiter centre were made by primary children and my high school class :cool:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Is that near the old ICI, at the Earl's Gate roundabout or on the way past a Dutch house styled restaurant? (really wracking my brains as its been years). I'm thinking, heading for Stenhousemuir/Cambusbarron?

I used to knock about there in my yoof - I should really use google, but it looks a great place.

Liam

Hushwing

Feb 19, 2012
Stirling
Thanks for reminding me of Jupiter again - used to use them quite a lot for wildflower plants for school wildlife gardens. Always helpful and as you say the site is beautiful and very tranquil. I need to visit again as haven't been for 5 years or so. Glad to hear it is still going strong.

Aye looks like teasel to me as well. Great bird food plant (when seed heads form) and because of the flower head looking vaguely like a big thistle head - they are quite popular and thrfr they can be sold for a donation to raise a little extra money..

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Is that near the old ICI, at the Earl's Gate roundabout or on the way past a Dutch house styled restaurant? (really wracking my brains as its been years). I'm thinking, heading for Stenhousemuir/Cambusbarron?

I used to knock about there in my yoof - I should really use google, but it looks a great place.

Liam

It's next to the old ICI site, Calachem gave it away 20yrs ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE