job interview

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
on tuesday i have an interview for the post of trainee engineer with the firm Keymed. I've had interviews for jobs before, but this is in a dbit of a different league. Does anyone have any tips, especially regarding what they might expect from me for this particular job?

thanks

Nathan

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Don't eat garlic/beans/green peppers or spinach the night before.

Don't offer any negative examples of work you've been involved in, I did once and it turned out I was talking about the interviewers best-friend. :eek: ;)

Relax, be yourself, these days if you've got to the interview it's as much about seeing how you would fit in to the company as what skills you have, probably more so if it's a trainee role and especially so if you'll have to be client facing.

Have some sensible questions prepared, do a spot of research about the company, the web can turn up loads of interesting things like company expansion, favourable press reports, customer surveys, all sorts.

But mainly ... good luck! :D

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi.
Just a quickie as this came from my daughter who is an A* person who does lots of research and has just been interviewed for a prime job in the nursing service.

Having done a large amount of homework in what the job entailed along with all the experience she had gained, complete with all her relevant qualifications and all the highbrow stuff.

Was asked 'why do you want this job?' She freely admits that this simple question completely threw her as she was expecting to be asked all sorts of serious questions.

So all in all, go as 'you' and be honest!

She got the job by the way.

Good luck!

Swyn.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Also, turn up early, dress smart.
neat haircut and freshly shaved, and polish your shoes.
You want to give a good impression. If you look business like, you are business like.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes thats it, be professional in whatever you do.

look like a person to be taken seriously

show interest and research into job

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I lost out on a job because I got fuzzy headde and slow. I let myself get acrried away and dehydrated - I looked a plank.

Pint of water half an hour before you leave the house, pee exceess as you arrive early for the interview.

Grim, silly, but made a difference for me next time.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Is this the type of role?
TRAINEE ENGINEERS - Manufacturing
Three vacancies have arisen within our Manufacturing department for Trainee Engineers.
http://www.keymed.co.uk/index.cfm/page/careers.detail.cfm/sub/Details/id/4388/navid/180/parentid/0

Looks a nice company!

With regards to their expectations, if you mean what technical ability you might bring, I doubt they expect much! :D If they are planning on putting you through any kind of training scheme they will want to know that you are bright and can learn. I work for an aerospace company and have guided/supervised two placement students and one graduate, all from university engineering courses. A lot of things they learned never get used, those that are used mostly only provide the basic foundation to build experience on.

I would expect that they are going to be more interested in your enthusiasm, willingness and ability to learn new things, and in how well you will fit in with the company's culture than with any technical stuff.

Research the company. LOTS. My housemate recently got a job with Eurostar and the interviewers were very impressed that he knew about their business, passenger loads, routes and history. It shows that you are really interested, and that you can self motivate to find things out for yourself. Working with someone who isn't proactive in this way is like trying to bounce a ball on sand, its hard work and quickly becomes annoying.

Don't talk too much. There is that old adage "Better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it." You are bound to be asked questions, and it would be good if you have a few intellegent questions of your own, but don't overdo it ;) Some people get nervous and talk themselves right out of jobs. :banghead: :lmao:

Very best of luck!!

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
thanks for all of the advice guys- i'll let you know how i get on, hopefully this time on tuiesday i'll be a very happy bunny- with a new job:D

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
good luck Nat - perhaps best not to take your new knives with you...:rolleyes:

btw - what happened to your charity walk? still going?

depends on what they say- if they say it' ok then yes, if they want to me to start straight away then i'm going to have to take the job over the walk:( there's a whole lifetime to spend doing other things but i think this is the right time to get trained up.

p.s. i've got a few of those links i said i'd send you- i'll sort them out now.

Nathan

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Got to agree with the standards comment. When went for the interview for my current job (which isn't all that but it's the first rung on the ladder and will open doors for me into the gas industry, if it lasts much longer! :rolleyes:) I turned uop in my suit with polished shoes, cleanly shaven, neatly trimmed hair and all of the things I was required to bring as stated in the letter and email I recieved prior to interview. Two other guys turned up to interview in suits, one was ex -forces the same as me, the other was an old gent of maybe 50 years or so old. The rest were in jeans and hoodies, and I'm not exaggerating either! I couldn't believe it when the boss man said "We've got you all here today to see what youre appearance and bearing is like, we want to pick people to work for this company with the right image." Sort of confirmed to me that I had a very good chance of being a winner in the job stakes with the company!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Old Gent - 50! - I dont think 50 is OLD!
I will be 51 next week.:(
Old starts at 60 - my wifes age!
Up til you get a pension you are "experienced " not Old....:eek:
Youth of today..no respect...humbug...wom...blart.....wanders off into the distance mumbling....
Good luck with the interview!
Mind you if Spamel ever wants a job in this area he has no chance!:D

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
on tuesday i have an interview for the post of trainee engineer with the firm Keymed. I've had interviews for jobs before, but this is in a dbit of a different league. Does anyone have any tips, especially regarding what they might expect from me for this particular job?

thanks

Nathan

Try to come across as both really wanting it and as the given man for the job.

Then it's yours ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Old Gent - 50! - I dont think 50 is OLD!
I will be 51 next week.:(
Old starts at 60 - my wifes age!
Up til you get a pension you are "experienced " not Old....:eek:
Youth of today..no respect...humbug...wom...blart.....wanders off into the distance mumbling....
Good luck with the interview!
Mind you if Spamel ever wants a job in this area he has no chance!:D

:lmao:

Sorry John, no disrespect meant! If it is any consolation, my Dad is 57 and cycles from High Green to Barnsley and back every working day! He is way fitter than I am and would kick my butt in a run, hike or cycling match! Youth doesn't always mean you are better off. ;)

Andyre

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
Abingdon, Oxon
Nathan, I work as an engineer for a medical devices company.
make sure you are smartly dressed and clean shaven etc. It is very important to this type of company that employees are clean and hygenic as it is carried over into their work.
Make sure that you have read and understood anything that they have sent you. nearly all medical companies use standard operating procedures for everything that they do, they will want to see that you have read and understood what they have sent to you as it shows them that you are "switched on" and follow instructions.
Have examples of any project work that you have done for college/ school
Best piece of advice is if you dont know the answer to a question say that you dont know, if you try to bulls##t your way through you will get caught out and just get more and more in the deep stuff, i have seen this happen many times when interviewing and it is a way that the interviewer can see how you handle pressure.

Hope this helps and good luck

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
remember your not asking them for a job, your showing them you can do it, so approach it from the angle of "this is what you want, this is what I can do" also dont be afraid to show anythings you dont know, far better than to hide weak areas is to say "Ive not had much experience with this area, but Im willing to train"
You get the hang of interviews eventually. They are easy, Ive done hundreds of them!...wait a minute that probably doesnt make me the best person to ask!

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ditto the smartness / appearance comments. I'm one of those people who could be described as "naturally scruffy", but I've always made an effort for interviews and I know that my appearance hasn't been a reason why I've not been offered the job.
One thing that I always say, and I've been told twice afterwards by the interviewers that it's one of the reasons that they employed me, is that I'm always prepared to ask a seemingly stupid question rather than save face and make a mess of something.

Break a leg, Michael.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Hi.
Was asked 'why do you want this job?' She freely admits that this simple question completely threw her as she was expecting to be asked all sorts of serious questions.
Swyn.

Oooohhh I hate that when they ask that question 'why do you want this job'? :AR15firin

I'd love to answer .................I don't particularly want 'THIS' job over another, but I need to earn a living as I need to 'live' and you gave me an interview. Why do you think I want this job :)
probably not be the answer they would be looking for :sadwavey: :nono: :burnout: :togo:

Good luck Nathan. Hope you get the position.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Having been through a number of interviews since graduating, and having just managed to secure a position after a intensive six round process I would offer the following advice.

1. Know the company and their market well, do lots of research and have this information memorised.

2. Make sure you are able to answer the standard competency based questions e.g.

Why do you want to work for us?

What can you bring to the role?

When have you worked in a team to achieve a difficult goal?

What are your strengths/weaknesses?

Biggest achievement/challenge?

3. Prepare a sixty second spiel about yourself, you'll probably be asked 'so tell me about yourself', this is a good opportunity to get the interview off to a good start and provides you with a window to show case your skills and your experience. Let them know what you have done, what you can do, and where you want to be in the future!

4. Also remember that you are interviewing them, ask your interviewer about his job, what do they like about the company? What does the future holds for organisation? It's always good to ask them what advice they would give to a new starter. Try to appear interested and show that you'll be a good fit to the organisation.

If you can get an interviewer talking about themselves and are able to establish common ground then things will be much easier.

Good luck mate! I'm sure you'll do well.

Cheers,

Buckley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE