Jew's Ear toxic to some?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi there

I spoke to a friend who forages this week and we were discussing a crop of Jew's Ear on some ash nearby. Asking whether he ate he he explained he had but aside from not really being much to write home about had a story to tell of europeans falling ill in China having eaten some there.

Basically it had some toxicity to some people, namely westerners who having eaten the fungus their white blood cell count dropped to dangerous levels.

I was wondering if this was something anybody else knew about and if it was true?

Leo

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have never heard of anyone getting poisoned from it. I have looked last night and there is nothing published in anything scienctific (netbased) where it says it has negative effect on the immune system. Ear fungus is used in wild mushroom powder to bulk out the more expensive boletes in quite a few european products like packet soup. It also acts as natural thickener. EU are pretty unpleasant food police if there was any credible concern however slight, it would be banned as sweet woodruff and comfry have been.

There is A. polytrichi cause the blood to thin, but i don't think you get them in britain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE