Jerky tutorial wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Can anyone point me in the right direction of a beef jerky tutorial? I want to make some but don’t really know ehere to start, I’ve had a quick search but cant seem to find an idiots guide (which I’ll prob need!)

cheers

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
No probs mate - enjoy :D

................... mmmmmmmmm jerky! (in a homeresque voice)

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Cheers Mungo that helps a lot - one thing that occurred to me though, I thought the meat would have to be salted quite a lot to help with presevation, but some tutorials i have read dont really mention salt at all, only when putting a bit in to the marinade to season it?

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I don't salt at all - I rely on the salt in the Worcester sauce I use in the marinade. The act of drying itself it is how it is preserved by my interpretation....

Rod

On a new journey
If you are looking to store the product for longer periods DO NOT use plastic bags, as the jerky will start to 'sweat' and will go off within a couple of days. A real bummer if you are out for a prolonged period :aargh4: . I appreciate that the stuff you get from supermarkets comes in plastic bags, but they are pumped full of chemical preservatives & other sh!te: even the "good ones" :(

An old fashioned brown paper bag, leather pouch or muslin bag will be much better :D

hope this helps

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've got an electric fan oven - roughly what temp should i have it on and how long does it need to be in there?

I might just put it in for 3 to 4 hours then finish off in the airing cupboard as suggested in another post?

What you jerky freaks reckon?

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
The first jerky I made was in an electric oven!

You want it as low as it will go and leave the door open - you are trying to dry it not cook it;)

And the time (an you are going to hate this answer!) until it is done mate...... It all depends on the humidity and the temp of the oven (and probably 100 other variables) so a time is hard to give. My advice is to keep checking it - you need to wait till it no longer looks wet and cracks if you bend it - if it bends easily with no damage it needs some more drying if it snaps it is a little dry for my taste but is well done!:D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you are looking to store the product for longer periods DO NOT use plastic bags, as the jerky will start to 'sweat' and will go off within a couple of days. A real bummer if you are out for a prolonged period :aargh4: . I appreciate that the stuff you get from supermarkets comes in plastic bags, but they are pumped full of chemical preservatives & other sh!te: even the "good ones" :(

An old fashioned brown paper bag, leather pouch or muslin bag will be much better :D

hope this helps

Hmm I have heard that before. I store my Jerky vacuum packed in mylar or plastic and in never sweats or turns rancid or indeed goes off in any way. It has been stored at ambient temperature for over 12 months and stays good. I think there are three elements to storing jerky wellin this way:

1)Fat. It goes off. Buy the leanest cuts you can and remove ALL fat from the meat.

2) Drying. Get the jerky really dry and fairly hard. You should be eliminating all mositure from the jerky

3) Cooling. Jerky ends up warm. If you want to bag it, cool on an open plate in the fridge for 24 hours prior to bagging. Plastic bagging warm meat cuases condensation which makes the meat spoil. Sealing cool dry meat eliminates that problem.

Having done those three things you should have jerky that keeps for many months - even in plastic bags. Quite a few here have tried mine (beef, venison and others) and I have had no complaints yet :D

red

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've been thinking of getting hold of a little vacuum packer and seeing if it works, sounds like it does :D

I agree with what you've said above Red, when using plastic bags you just need to be careful in the prep. I've also noticed that using Jars is better when you tend to go in and out of a packet, in the plastic it rehydrates a lot more than in the jars, maybe because the same prep needs to be done each time the product is sealed in the plastic bags.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Yup - I agree with leaving it to go cold than placcy bagging it!

Red knows his stuff and I have personally sampled his jerky from a ziploc bag and it was yummy! ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've been thinking of getting hold of a little vacuum packer and seeing if it works, sounds like it does :D

I agree with what you've said above Red, when using plastic bags you just need to be careful in the prep. I've also noticed that using Jars is better when you tend to go in and out of a packet, in the plastic it rehydrates a lot more than in the jars, maybe because the same prep needs to be done each time the product is sealed in the plastic bags.

Tony it does work but you need a heavy film or the spkier bits of jerky will pierce it. Heavy mylar works well. The alternative for pocket cary I use is the real ziplocks Lakeland sell - they do well for most things I find.

Red

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Hello all, hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread, I recently bought a dehydraytor from Westfalia reduced to £25.
I've got to say, what a bargain, I've made about 3 lots of jerky at the moment, and it gets better each time.
I've been following Reds advice, based on stuff i've read on American jerky making sites, and lean and dry is the best way for longer storage, though I must admit, it doesn't last too long, as I end up eating it!
Been experimenting with different flavours, best so far is based on Lea and Perrins, and another on a Jerk sauce.

If you've been thinking about a dehydraytor, go for it, if you're into jerky, it'll pay for itself in about 3 uses!

Anyone got any recipes they want to share

I'll start with one of mine.... Lea and Perrins +

Lean Beef about 1lb cut into strips 1/4 of an inch thick

Lea and Perrins sauce, about 1/4 to 1/2 a bottle

Salt and pepper, I used ground black peppercorns and rock salt 2 to 3 tea spoons

Brown sugar 3 to 4 table spoons

Crushed dried red pepper

Mix the lot well and put it all in a sealed tub, I used a takeaway tub!

Store and marinate in the fridge for at least 24 hours

Put the beef pieces into your drier, evenly spaced, and turn it on...........leave for
8 to 10 hours max.

Allow to cool and store in paper bags, or plastic zip tie bags

enjoy...and experiment!

Basic salt and ground pepper works very well too, especially perked up with chilli or red pepper

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE