Java, Indonesia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
Just returned from a three week trip to Indonesia, spent most of my time working in Jakarta but did manage to get down to Bandung and beyond at the weekend. I am going back there next week and will have a free weekend so I would like to know if anyone has any local knowledge and can recommend places to go, I fancy a challenging trek looking for scenery, hidden beaches, waterfalls, fishing etc and no tourists, would also like to look for traditional crafts etc any grid refs and kit tips welcome

With a bit of preparation you can vist Taman Ujong Kulon.

Transportation towards it will be the most time consuming. At least it was in 2003, things might have changed. But I had to use public transport most of the time.

A national park with loads of hiking possibilities. Went looking for the rhino (never spotted it) but was rewarded with otters, eagles, deer, monkeys, big goanna's, some 'leopard'(?) tracks, stunning (deserted) beach scenery.

Not sure if doable in 2 days, 3 days probably.

Traditional crafts, well loads of woodworking of several markets, and locals just doing their stuff which to most of us is a 'bushcraft' form, one way or another.

Kit wise... mmm can elaborate a lot more but it depends on your comfort zone too.

I would go for
shoes (like "adidas kampung", others might swear by Jungle boots, I never found much use for them)
Socks (plus 1 dry set for in camp, the way back or emergency)
Long pants (plus 1 dry set for in camp, the way back or emergency)
Swim trunks/boxer (plus 1 dry set for in camp, the way back or emergency)
Long sleeved shirt (plus 1 dry set for in camp, the way back or emergency)
Hat

Hammock & poncho liner (my Hennessy covers the mozzie netting)
Tarp
Parang/Golok (buy one locally)
Sarong (buy locally)
Billy (or army mug and bottle)
Platypus (or similar) with hose

Bits & Bobs (fire starter, water purification, cord, torch etc.)

Food.

Of course you can extend on this a lot more. Just a starter I reckon.

Have fun, wherever you're going.

Grtz Johan

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
I have been studying in American High School when my parents were working there more than 20 years ago.

We lived in place called Cilandak in Jakarta.

Must have changed quite a lot now. I recall visiting Bogor Botanic Garden and various places but cannot recall names.

It was melting hot every day with burning Sun and blue sky and heavy rain which lasted about 30 minutes a day then back to burning Sun and blue sky again.

Last edited:

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I used to live there. There are lots of places to go but however far you think you are from civilisation there a local will appear trying to sell you something. :D

Bandung has some beautiful areas outside of the town. Bogor has the botanical gardens that were established by the British. You can hire a boat from Jakarta to take you out to Pulau Seribu (thousand islands) and dump you on an island for the day. Make sure you don't bargain the sailor down too low on the fare or he might not come back to pick you up. :D

Try renting a motorbike for the day you can get to some amazing places on two wheels. I went up mountain trails around Bandung with my friend and a camera, the scenery was absolutely breathtaking and the locals friendly and hospitable.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
You wanted some kit tips too. Depends where you're going really. One thing I recommend is that you don't wear shorts, the locals will stare at you and you'll get eaten by mosquitoes. I always wore long sleeve shirts to keep the sun off my arms (and the mosquitoes at night). I wore shoes rather than sandals because of the dirt and bugs both in town and out of town.

I always had a can of DEET and an electric mosquito coil.

Sun hat and good quality sunglasses (but not ones that might attract thieves). In fact avoid wearing or showing anything that looks valuable especially if you are alone.

Mosquito net is also a good thing to have, especially if you're going to be sleeping anywhere that isn't air-conditioned.

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
thanks all for the tips, I will pack accordingly, got my fishing gear also so hope to find some sport in remote locations

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE