I've just sharpened my Mora for the first time...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RRIris

Jul 12, 2013
East Midlands
I had some time to kill and decided to whip out me icebear water stones.

I ran my Mora over the 800 stone until all the factory machining marks were gone, moved onto the 1200 grit and then onto the 6000 with the nagura stone slurry. I finished off stropping with a little autosol on a (rather narrow) leather rucksack shoulder strap. Now my little green Mora has a mirror shine all over and is scary sharp, as my bare patches on my arm will confirm.

No real reason to this thread other than someone who is still rather green venting some excess pride in a job well done. This is only my 2nd attempt on the stones, the first was on my Gerber Grylls knife. I didn't quite match the factory sharp but it's quite close and not bad for a first attempt. It's not a scandi grind so I wasn't expecting to nail it first time, I little more practise before that one will get scary sharp me thinks.

This waterstone lark is much more satisfying than any fancy modern pull through gadget could ever be.

:D

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
OK now you need to read this thread by Robin.

Shaving sharp is great if arm stubble is your problem, but its a pain if the edge rolls or chips when your away from your icebear stones...

Z

RRIris

Jul 12, 2013
East Midlands
Thanks for that Z. An interesting read. I've read lots about secondary micro bevels and the like. I've not yet reached a level of experience where I think I could pull off a good secondary bevel. This may not matter to me yet. I'm currently operating on the theory that I'm going to be doing all the heavy lifting with my full tang Gerber and the lighter work and carving I'll use my Mora for. Some more time out in the woods with my kit will cause me to reconsider many aspects of my gear and mentality I'm sure.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Good job Ross,

we were speaking about entrenching tool at white rose and i said i had one for you. Well ive dug it out and will bring it along to the next meet im at (probably Sept)

Cheers
Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE