I've actually done some bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
To cut a mid-length story short I got a space on Woodsmoke's Trailbreaker course this
weekend through a cancellation and headed up there on Friday afternoon and basically
started grinning from around 3pm when I arrived at Euston station. Kept smiling all the
way on the train on the way up and the smile continues :)

Anyway, I have done all sorts of bushcrafty things this weekend - possibly the most
startling were gutting a fish (I was a bit squealy I have to admit) and ponassing it and
then blow me if I didn't actually sleep out last night in a bivy bag under a tarp. Me!

As predicted I had a perfect night's sleep (nice cold air on my face, warm body) and
whenever I woke up I was able to gawp at the gobsmackingly stunning loveliness of a
forest in moonlight. Utter heaven. I felt like I was in "A Midsummer Night's Dream" at
the Open Air Theatre in Regent's Park.

We made a lean-to (four of them, in groups) with spruce boughs overlaid on logs at
a steep angle and some people slept in them and had a good, warm sleep. The
creation involved me sitting on the forest floor (not even bleating about getting my
trousers a bit grubby) and unearthing a rather fine root even if I do say so myself.

The only thing I didn't do was bow drilling as I found out it is quite tough on your knees
which are my Achilles heel (so to speak) so I think I'll stick to lighters or firesteels which
involve less kneeling! It was good to watch everyone else doing it but I think I'd have to
build a table first and do it seated :rolleyes:

In short, I am liking this stuff lots and the Trailbreaker course is an excellent introduction :D

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Sounds a great lot of fun :) where about in britian is that course based may i ask? and thats like me, not too bothered about getting a bit grubby i just sit down anywhere and admire the surroundings, I can go on a 1 night camp in the woods and come out looking as if i've just done a 6 month tour in war torn Vietnam, I end up walking away from camp to the night surroundings and just **** listenting and chilling taking in the surroundings and only when i get back to camp i find i have been sitting in a pile of sloppy mud with bugs all over me etc:p

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
To cut a mid-length story short I got a space on Woodsmoke's Trailbreaker course this
weekend through a cancellation and headed up there on Friday afternoon and basically
started grinning from around 3pm when I arrived at Euston station. Kept smiling all the
way on the train on the way up and the smile continues :)

Anyway, I have done all sorts of bushcrafty things this weekend - possibly the most
startling were gutting a fish (I was a bit squealy I have to admit) and ponassing it and
then blow me if I didn't actually sleep out last night in a bivy bag under a tarp. Me!

Welcome to the real world don't you think its so much better than the manufactured one that is pushed down your throat day in and day out my background is with a long range Recce troop our main objective was ATC where the on-is was survive survive survive and send back info or sit reps
ps keep it up and take some mates along next time

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Ahh sorry Woodstock i didnt see where it was :ban: not very alert tonight just scanning what i am reading sorry:1244: i cant understand (yet again too much to drink) What unit was you a LRRP with the HAC? im talking woffle most probably :rolleyes:

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
well done jodie!:You_Rock_
woodsmoke's like pokeimon or what ever it's called
once you've been on one coruse you what to do them all
when i was on a woodlander there was someone with a bad back
they done the bowdrill on one of the logs you/we sit on round the fire he still needed to
put one foot on the fire broad but he was'it on his knees
hope this helps..karl

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Nice one Jodie,

Hope you enjoyed it as much as it sounds like you did... (does that make sense...? :confused: )

Hopefully it's given you a wee boost of confidence and motivation to do some more, I was one recently and I've been buzzing ever since, long may it continue!

What else did you get up to on the course?

Cheers,

Alan

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sounds like you had a lovely time and once you have slept under the moon and stars and not had to be stuck in a sweaty tent there is no turning back ;)

Well done for getting out there and living it ;)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
woodsmoke's like pokeimon or what ever it's called
once you've been on one coruse you what to do them all
You are so right there .... fantastic courses and great company and first class instruction... I just wish i could do some.

Glad you had a good time up there Jodie and got to put some theory into practice ....

Ed

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
So now you know what the fuss is about!
And did the caterpillar poo bother you?
Hope to see you at some of the meet ups/moots soon then, or are you scanning classified and ebay for kit?

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Thank you everyone - I did have a fantastic time :D

To answer some specific questions -

Commandocal
The course itself is based near Windermere (those of us coming by train were met at the
station by Lisa in the Woodsmoke Land Rover - getting in and out of one of those is an
excitement in itself!) and others coming by car were met by Matt at a nearby hotel beer
garden, then we went to the place where the cars were parked, rearranged the luggage
and headed up to the site on foot or by car. I am so smitten by Land Rovers that I took
any opportunity to sit in such a massive vehicle and be driven across tough-looking
terrain. One of the first things we did after being picked up from the station was drive
on to a ferry that carries across the lake - stunning views.

Woodstock
I quite like both worlds, but good point nonetheless - it's nice to be able to do stuff for
yourself, however I'm still at the stage of having to have help to do that. I'm on the lower
end of the learning curve, obviously, but I hope to move along and up :)

kb31
Good idea! And when I go back I shall try that.

Chainsaw
Yes - I don't often get a chance to surprise myself and I keep thinking 'gosh I did that'.-

In no particular order (and I bet I've forgotten stuff!):

I've made a pot hanger (hooked stick), a candle holder (split stick with bark) and the
ponassing split stick, a lean-to shelter bound with roots, learned about the safe use of
knives and saws* - there are a number of subtle things which are obvious once you have
had them pointed out to you but which I'd probably have lost a few pints and fingers
before working out for myself!, got to grips with the brew pot, escaped from my tent,
learned about the different ways of starting a fire and had a (brief) go of the bowdrill,
learned about water purification, knife sharpening, nettle cordage (I watched Lisa do it
as it still looks painful to me with my uncalloused typists' hands), got a blister while
cutting the sticks with the knife.

A shopping list really doesn't give a flavour of the learning experience though - it was
relaxed and fun and the teaching is excellent - I recommend them highly.

*and what should be in a first aid kit which is pretty important!

Goose
Fish guts bother me ;)
But I didn't have a face covered in slugs or spiders - I half expected to be bitten by
squirrels and whatnot in the night, but they left me alone. I didn't see any wildlife
around me at night though there were plenty of sheep exercising their lungs and
vocal cords in the distance.
I do plan to go to meets and moots although I might start with a moot first as I think
that might be more suited for learners - I'd be a bit non-contributing at a meet so less
keen about coming along and really not pulling my weight yet. It'll come!
eBay - yes, although I might rather get a shiny new bivy with no holes in it. Woodsmoke
will send us round a list of suggested kit places too. Come to think of it, I probably want
a hole-free tarp too :p Not that I can't get these on eBay but I'm a bit wary.

I suppose if it's really raining very hard then and the ground is sodden and muddy then a
tent might be a bonus. Presumably a hammock is the best of the lot but I'd be too scared
that I'd fall out when fidgeting around.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Ahh Woodstock i didnt see where it was :ban: not very alert tonight just scanning what i am reading :1244: i cant understand (yet again too much to drink) What unit was you a LRRP with the HAC? im talking woffle most probably :rolleyes:
put that drink down and re send'''''''''';) 2nd Sabre troop sent to where ever we were needed left the unit in 83 the end.;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE