It's that horrible time again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Funnily enough we've had the annual invasion of what I think are corn flies at work today, we're on a greenfield site surrounded by farms so we get hit from all sides. Horrible little things about 0.5 x 3mm, if you wear anything light coloured you just get covered in seconds. They even get through the air-con system in the office and somehow manage to get behind the glass on the monitors.
I've never seen the smoke shelter so quiet :)

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
No flying ants in Hertfordshire yet, but aint nature wonderful. I heard once that thousands take to the sky but only a few make new ant colonies. When I see them I 'll let you know, it'll be interesting to see if this happens in some kind of order across the country.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
No flying ants in Hertfordshire yet, but aint nature wonderful. I heard once that thousands take to the sky but only a few make new ant colonies. When I see them I 'll let you know, it'll be interesting to see if this happens in some kind of order across the country.

Got a load of them here, had to get them out of my daughters hair after her bike ride home from school today! Horrid things...

ATB, Jon.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Plenty down here in Hove.
I've been watching them get ready to take to the sky's for a few days now.
The first ones to appear were small to comparison to today's ones.

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
Got a load of them here, had to get them out of my daughters hair after her bike ride home from school today! Horrid things...

ATB, Jon.

So you've got them in Stevenage! I live just outside Hertford and not a sausage or a flying ant to be seen, although the raisins I've been eating taste a bit off.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Oh yes, they are definitely about. I was riding my motorbike from the South coast back up to Gatwick on Sunday. Thought it was a cloud of smoke from a BBQ, it wasn't. And I can tell you at 70(ish) mph with the visor up, those little buggers don't half hurt. Still you can judge the quality of a good ride by the number of flies in your teeth. So Sunday was right up there as one of the best.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE