It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
and, although I'm aware of the awful personal tragedies that last week's storm produced for some people, I just have to tell you that I have greatly enjoyed sawing and chopping branches off a very old apple tree that has been blown over at the bottom of my garden.

I am pleased with myself that, having taking some time to think about the various ways the 12 inch diameter branch might fall, where best to cut it and where to stand safely, it dropped exactly where I planned.

The big branch I cut with a bow saw but cleaning up the smaller branches I did with my Granfors Brux small forest axe. I am still surprised at the thickness of branch that can be sliced through cleanly with one blow of a finely honed axe. Thicker than my, admittedly puny, wrists.

And, as exercise goes, it's so much more fulfilling than lifting weights or pounding on a treadmill at the gym.

I wonder, did anyone else enjoy the storm or it's consequences?

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Yes, I've literally just finished removing the last of a stag's horn sumac that was blown over. Very satisfying isn't it!

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
I love the storms we get, obviously the damage and injuries are'nt good but the high winds, the thunder storms and the torrential rain are great in my books.

They are a fascinating part of nature that too many people shut themselves away from and miss some spectacular events.

Boosh.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I was just thinking this myself. I've only just come back from a short walk and there were dozens of branches that have come down and a couple of small trees blown over just in the local area. My brother went for a walk in a forestry commission wood this-morning and he said there must have been at least 40 large pine trees that have blown down where they had been thinning them.

I cant wait to get out with my folding saw and collect some more spoon making materials ;) .

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
I was a bit disappointed by the storm.
Bit of a damp squib here, despite all the hype and some footage from (about 15-20 miles away) Whitehaven of what looked like quite a stormy harbour it was just 'a bit windy' here.
v. poor.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE