Itchy Legs When Out Walking? HELP!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 25, 2012
Wolverhampton
Hi Guys!

Just a call for help and advise, I love walking and my good female is slowly but surely getting the outdoor bug, however an occurring problem is when we're out walking the Mrs gets unbearably itchy legs to the point we have to stop walking. In the summer they seem to be fine but any other time spring, autumn, winter the same problem occurs.

So it's not the trousers shes wearing as we've tried several, I thought it was the cold irritating her legs and then the friction of the trouser rubbing but shes layered up before to try and stop the cold air and it still happens.

It's effect her want to get outdoors which is something I want to encourage, so if anyone can throw some light on the situation or has something similar please help aha!

Thanks Brian.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I cannot use biological washing powder on any garments that are going to be next to my skin; otherwise I get really itchy. The problem is worse when I get warm.

Z

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Possibly pollen that is brushed off the vegetation as she passes by. Does she suffer from hayfever? At certain seasons I will come up in itchy blotches that way especially if it's warm and I'm a bit sweaty.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I'd suggest the washing powder check route first, then consider sock material - as we use central heating in the autumn to spring period, sometimes our skin can dry out and so become more sensitive. If there's a background reaction to wool in the socks, it can come out by creating itches and a type of mild eczema. Using an over the counter aqueous cream can sort out such a reaction. Alternatively, pollen or other reaction may be an issue, as suggested below.

See if your GP has a nurse who deals with skin conditions, then go along dressed for a walk so he/she can possibly help you - another pair of eyes sometimes spots what we can't see.

Whatever you do, don't give up on the outdoors!

All the best.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've come across this problem a fair bit, including having had it myself. The first thing to do, as suggested above, is the washing powder thing. I use only good quality liquid soap to wash my clothes, no detergents of any sort and definitely no biological stuff. And keep the extra rinse setting permanently on on your washer. The other thing I found out recently is that our habit of washing most things @ 40*C is not altogether a good thing, as it leaves all sorts of things untouched in your machine and therefore your clothing due to the low temperature. It made a huge difference to my skin problems when I began to wash more @ 60* instead.

The other thing that makes a huge difference is to use a proper emollient on your skin, such as Dermol or Epaderm; I prefer Dermol as it dissappears very quickly into the skin, leaving no hint of greasiness at all. This moisturises the skin and also acts as a barrier cream, preventing pollen and suchlike from causing problems.

Oh yes, the other thing I've found very helpfull is to run your machine every now and then (empty and at the hottest setting) with a good dose of vinegar into the soap dispenser; this cleans the machine of all the stuff that has survived the low temperature washes.

I hope this helps :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE