It’s Tuff Being White (In The Bush)! Dead Critter Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
And sometimes even tougher for the stalker when having to thread a bullet through a tangle of birch!

DSC02315.jpg

DSC02318.jpg

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Stovie

Rule of thumb in many areas is cull out albino/white deer as they are quite obvious and give away deer locations to poachers. Sad but anything that makes life more difficult for commercial poachers has to be good for everyone/everything else.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I am making an educated guess that he is not a true albino - Fallow have an incredibly diverse colouration ranging from literally black to white, also you can see that the eyes have retained pigment as opposed to being pink. He looks like a prime cull animal given the poor head - Well Done! What calibre did you use to send him to the great pasture in the sky? :D

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Silverback said:
I am making an educated guess that he is not a true albino - Fallow have an incredibly diverse colouration ranging from literally black to white, also you can see that the eyes have retained pigment as opposed to being pink. He looks like a prime cull animal given the poor head - Well Done! What calibre did you use to send him to the great pasture in the sky? :D

No doubt I will be reminded by someone that I should, at this time of year, be concentrating on shooting does whilst they’re in season – notwithstanding that in doing so chances are I’ll inevitably shoot the odd buck fawn or pricket (both stereotypical cull animals) anyway.

The poorish head of this three-year-old was not the reason for adding it to the cull but the beast's colour was. Whilst I do not at all dislike seeing such deer outside of deer parks; Knowle in Sevenoaks being just one where you’ll find them, who am I to question the Deer Manager’s approach in this particular forest!

With regard to which calibre I used I’m more than a little hesitant to disclose such as I’m afraid it will sound unbelievable pretentious. But here goes anyway!

When I first decided to build a truly custom hand-built (Precision Rifles Scotland) rifle I figured why not go the whole hog and have one in a “wildcat” (non standard) chambering. Once that decision was made it seemed wholly sensible to design a cartridge of my own! So the “250 Klenchblaize” (or K250) was born and this is what you’ll see stamped on the chamber & action by the London Proof House!!

k250METALWORK.jpg

My ‘interesting’ cartridge is based on the 6X47 Swiss Match round made my Ruag munitions. The quality of brass they produce is second to none – very much a deciding factor in choosing this as parent case so to speak. From there we had custom chambering reamers and Redding dies made that enable the neck to be opened-up to .25 and the case then fire-formed to give the case a much sharper shoulder. Even when fire-forming the rifle will put ten shots into a ragged hole at 100 yards. Clearly there is more to it than that, like turning the necks for concentricity and correct bullet tension when loaded into the semi-match proportioned neck area of the chamber but this is, after all, a bushcraft site!

The 6X47SM case is smaller than a 243 but a little larger than a 6mm BR. I do NOT like hard kicking cartridges although I acknowledge this may have a lot to do with my poor rifle holding style that lets a rifle jump about in my shoulder somewhat! I use an 87g bullet atop 37.5graines of Varget powder for a very deer-legal crack.

6x47SwissMatch.jpg

Cheers

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Klench - Nice post and I got's to have me one of them fancy smanchy bolts - hell I wouldn't know whether to load it or lick it :D

Oh yeah and shouldn't you be concentrating on does at this time of year ;) :lmao:

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Silverback said:
Klench - I got's to have me one of them fancy smanchy bolts - hell I wouldn't know whether to load it or lick it :lmao:

Golf ball style bolt knob is non-standard and was machined to my design after a mock-up made from a solid plastic ball that I’d attacked with a hand drill with a ‘stop’, made of electricians tape, wrapped around the bit! I have two such tactile bolt ends - one made of aluminium and the other stainless. The reason being that when fitted with the stainless it takes the rifle over the weight limit for British Sporting Rifle Club competition. Yes, that near!

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE