Is This the Most Interesting Opening Paragraph Wikipedia's Ever Published?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
220px-Sir_Adrian_Carton_de_Wiart_by_Sir_William_Orpen.jpg
http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts...ikipedia_s_ever_published?wp_login_redirect=0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Carton_de_Wiart#Retirement

If you don't want to register, here's the paragraph,

Lieutenant-General Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart[SUP][1][/SUP] VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO (5 May 1880 – 5 June 1963), was a British Army officer of Belgian and Irish descent. He served in the Boer War, First World War, and Second World War, was shot in the face, head, stomach, ankle, leg, hip and ear, survived a plane crash, tunneled out of a POW camp, and bit off his own fingers when a doctor wouldn't amputate them. He later said "frankly I had enjoyed the war."[SUP][2]

I've never heard of this man before but I call to friends in his final home town often and I'm going to search for his grave.
Happy tails...torc.

[/SUP]

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
What an interesting character. They sure made them tough in those day's. Funnily enough I know the graveyard where he is buried, my father is from Macroom.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Well spotted, that man! That certainly is a paragraph to stir the interest; surely a man you wouldn't meet every day, by the sounds of him.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Bugger me, that guy is... well scarier than a rabid chuck Norris!

Thing is I can't help but feel he should be indoctrinated into the Adeptus Astartes, because when he was born shurley the emperor parted the clouds pointed his finger at the new born and said "This one shall have ball's of pure adimantium".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE