is this morally wrong?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Jesus!! I don't know what the world's coming to...Sounds like he joined for the wrong reasons to me. Probably too much of a plum to get a job in civvy street so chose the Army as a last resort. Thank God he's out, I wouldn't like any of his brick having him watching their backs.

H

He' s left the building

... i still think if he had heeded the advice of his instructors he wouldnt have got himself into this pickle.

You 'think' or you 'know' :)

Why has an Army doctor given him six months paid sick leave (when he isn't even a fully trained soldier) for a 'self-inflicted' injury?!

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
All soldiers from every army suffer from inadequate kit whether it is boots, NVG or their bashas. They are pushed to the limits in training and so they should be as war will push them even further. Wrong equipment and you refuse to move out? You have to make do.

I remember being completly wet in winter in SW Western Australia wearing just cotton OD in below 10degrees. What should we have done? "Please Sir call off the exercise I'm cold"? Give me a break.

What is important is that they pull together and look after each other and not quit and certainly not look to compo payments as a way to a quick buck.

There may have been a failure of leadership on the part of the corporals too. Maybe there was an internal inquiry.

Armies need oversight for sure and the Governments that have them need to be sued for things like Gulf war syndrome but soldiers who whine need to be got rid off asap.

If durston has misrepresented the situation then its on his head but if he has not then I would not want this man in my unit if I was still in uniform.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Sounds like he joined for the wrong reasons to me.

i couldn't agree more.

Probably too much of a plum to get a job in civvy street so chose the Army as a last resort.

that seems a bit tight, if the lad used this path to get himself out of a situation he couldn't handle then fair enough, sueing would be a step to far though.

Thank God he's out, I wouldn't like any of his brick having him watching their backs.

agreed, sounds like a young man in the wrong place.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
because of the mollycoddling culture the army has towards its recruits these days.
the lengths they go to to stop getting bad press about training is unbelieveable.
i saw an entire company of recruits down at pirbright go out for what i thought was P.T. 2 hours later they all carrying big foam hands and candy floss! it turns out they had been taken down to the local funfair to stop them getting bored lol

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
When you join the army you are a soldier be it trained or untrained,after training your pay goes up.You sign on the dotted line before you arrive at training centres therefore you are employed as a soldier and entitled to the same rights as any other soldier.
Maybe boops should stick to expeditions ,or find out a bit more about what is being discussed before making ill informed assumptions.
What we have here is someone who through his own stubborness and lack of ability to understand simple basic hygiene and to follow instructions has got himself into a situation where he is of no use to the army,but because of employment laws is entitled to sick pay untill his feet have healed.Also he feels that because he was on army time when he neglected his admin he now thinks he can sue the army for his own stupidity.
It's about time people took responsibility for their own failings instead of relying on the ability to sue someone else.

H

He' s left the building

You have fallen into the trap of believeing everything the telly and papers tell you.I have served in one of the most poorly equiped sections of the army and found the kit to be adequate.

Did you ever deploy to a Kosovo winter in temperate climate boots, or to Sierra leone without anti-malarials? :)

It's inevitable that some of the stories leaked to the media contain some truths.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, I have met former soldiers who have been in these situations and have successfully claimed for injuries and illnesses after the MOD has admitted responsibility. That seems to be happening here with some of these injury claims, there is no way the treasury would pay out for a 'self-inflicted' injury and the diagnoses appear to be made at the Institute for naval medicine (the military experts in cold weather survival)

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
because of the mollycoddling culture the army has towards its recruits these days.
the lengths they go to to stop getting bad press about training is unbelieveable.
i saw an entire company of recruits down at pirbright go out for what i thought was P.T. 2 hours later they all carrying big foam hands and candy floss! it turns out they had been taken down to the local funfair to stop them getting bored lol

Bored soldiers?
I actually heard a colonel say these words to a sargeant major.The squad had just come off a 5 day feildcraft exercise and we were all on our chinstraps
Colonel "are the men happy SM?
SM "oh yes sir,a bit tired but generally happy"
Colonel "Then mess them about a bit SM they look bored.

Mollycoddled? not when I was in.

H

He' s left the building

Maybe boops should stick to expeditions ,or find out a bit more about what is being discussed before making ill informed assumptions.

Touche old chap, lets stay on topic and not make it too personal :)

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Did you ever deploy to a Kosovo winter in temperate climate boots, or to Sierra leone without anti-malarials? :)

It's inevitable that some of the stories leaked to the media contain some truths.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, I have met former soldiers who have been in these situations and have successfully claimed for injuries and illnesses after the MOD has admitted responsibility. That seems to be happening here with some of these injury claims, there is no way the treasury would pay out for a 'self-inflicted' injury and the diagnoses appear to be made at the Institute for naval medicine (the military experts in cold weather survival)

I can see that you were never a soldier.
Where we go and what we get is irrelevant.If we go to war then generally resupply doesn't happen very often.During WW1 many soldiers were issued with waterproof boots,yet after a while they ended up with trenchfoot.Anti malarials are issued to a soldier going to known malaria hotspots what happens when these run out and there is no resupply available?Shall we all go home?
Stick to a subject you know about,you have made it plain that you are completely ignorant of the way a modern army functions.As I say ,if it's in the papers then it must be true.How many reports of ufos have there been?By your logic this is proof that they exist,there have been a few reports so it must be true throughout the whole world.
Your argument is that of a typically badly informed civvie.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
all in all some good arguments have come out of this towards getting compo for negligence etc.
i think in this case though the 6 months sick pay for something that will not leave him disabled is compensation enough.
it is greedy to take away money that is needed fro the continued care for the likes of that poor sod from 7RHA who was left brain damaged by a roadside bomb.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
This is probably one of the reasons there is no money to tret those who deserve it.

H

He' s left the building

Stick to a subject you know about,you have made it plain that you are completely ignorant of the way a modern army functions ... Your argument is that of a typically badly informed civvie.

Like I said, lets not make it personal.

If we met over a pint I would tell you how far off the mark those assertions are.

I'm now ducking out of this thread as I've contributed all I am able to.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Facts are facts ,nothing personal.
You have made it plain that you know nothing of that which you speak,As I say stick to a subject you know.
You can always tell me how far of the mark my assertions are via PM.

H

He' s left the building

Facts are facts ,nothing personal.
You have made it plain that you know nothing of that which you speak,As I say stick to a subject you know.

We haven't established any facts, I have provided some useful information and you seem preoccupied with making a personal attack on me as an individual.

If this lad is bluffing his way then he won't get to the claim stage as he won't have any clinical evidence to back up his injury claim.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
when I was deployed to Kosovo in the winter I was given Pro-Boots.
Goretex/thinsulate lined, plus nice thick wool socks.
I used them in Norway in the winter too.
This is the same kit that the soldier in question would have been issued, and they're very good.
The point is not that he was issued inadequate kit, it's that he (by his own admission) couldn't be bothered to take the basic precautions he was instructed to take.
And now he feels the need to sue for his own stupidity.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Fact 1. you have not been a soldier
fact 2. you are commenting on something you know nothing about
fact 3. You ARE baiting people
fact 4. I don't do personal attacks

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
what would he do if he went to Iraq? sue the army for getting shrapnel in his leg?
totally wrong imo! the army can't take this seriously right?

Pete

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
when I was deployed to Kosovo in the winter I was given Pro-Boots.
Goretex/thinsulate lined, plus nice thick wool socks.
I used them in Norway in the winter too.
This is the same kit that the soldier in question would have been issued, and they're very good.
The point is not that he was issued inadequate kit, it's that he (by his own admission) couldn't be bothered to take the basic precautions he was instructed to take.
And now he feels the need to sue for his own stupidity.

unfortunately no pro boots he was issued the standard assault boots and wooly socks as he was on basic training.
still it was only him that seems to have come out of the exercise with this injury so as i've said before laziness played a big part.

boops its not a case of bluffing, he was told by either the medical examiner or his CO that as he has a work related injury he has the right to sue!!!
as that article on the beeb rightly said, if the MoD accepts responsibility for all the cases where they were neglible then it opens the floodgates for everyone else at fault or not to sue them for compensation.
in the interests of keeping a lid on this the MoD will probably pay a lot of them out of court and save themselves the embarrassment.
because i think in his case its wrong i am going to try and talk him out of sueing the MoD.

ive been useing the issue light weight assault boots for years in all kinds of terrains doing courses with the RAF regiment and Para's, we did all sorts of stuff from a **** of training weekends to 5 day exercise in december, BFT's etc etc

never had a single problem with issue boots and wolly socks :D

bloody love them i do, one thing the DS told us though, "if you take care of your boots, your boots will take care of you"

not saying i wouldent give them up for a pair of lowa's like, but the issue ones are good kit IMO

hope this answers boop's question about them haveing adiquate footwear

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE