Is Ray Mears Fundamental Bushcraft Course Course leader a woman?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
Well as far as I'm concerned, if I encounter sexism either way I stop being so forthcoming with help and advice. If they don't want to hear it, why should they? The people willing to listen to anyone competent are generally the ones who improve faster. And the ones bumbling along who could have listened but didn't are quite amusing in their way, so long as they're not a danger to anyone. :D

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Couldn't agree more,

I held off posting on this thread for a while to see how it went.

Competent, knowledgable, aproachable and level headed (not to mention VERY patient :D ) are the qualites i would look for in an instructor.

And if the company round the campfire on an evening is enhanced by the presence of a lady....all the better :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Seagull said:
Oh, I dunno, Toddy.................
Theres a definite element of the "cammo-semmit-ripper" in your phrase :lmao: .......Ceeg

:lmao: "Cammo semmit-ripper" :lmao: :D

Brilliant ! Now there's an image :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

Slaine

Sep 23, 2005
Canterbury
I've just got back this Sunday from the Fundamental Bushcraft and it was Nettie who ran the show along with 4 other instructors.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
she was training to become an instructor in 2004 when I did my Fundamental. If it's her Woodlore have another great person in their ranks

This (if it is the same person, which it might not be) worries me a little, not because we are talking about a women but the fact that this person was a trainee instructor 18 months ago and is now "running" the fundamental course for one of the best known schools in the country.
I know of people out there with literally years and years of practicle outdoor experience who are able to speak about their subjects with such passion and gusto and can recant tales from a lifetime of adventure.....these would be the sort of people I would expect to be running a course for beginers of this standard and cost, not somebody who was only training themselve a little while ago. This can only have a bad effect on standards imo.

With regards to women versus men in bushcraft......what's the point? People either can do things themselves or need some help, what gender they are matters about as much as the colour of pants they wear ;) Actually that's pretty true for most of life....you either can or you can't, do ro don't and "what" you are in terms of gender, race, nationality etc makes no difference to that so argueing about it is like a blunt pencil.........................................pointless :lmao:

As for her being "hot" or not.......sounds like another blunt pencil question :p

Bam. :)

Reactions: andyn

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Ah....so it wasn't the same person....lol....see that'll teach me to reply before I've read the entire thread! lol :lmao:

The ethos and others points of my post still stand though :p

Bam. :D

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Beech Nut said:
Couldn't be bothered to read the whole of this thread. Not sure if the orrigional question was answered. if it wasn't answered, as far as I am aware it IS a women. Called Annette, she also does the introduction to bushcraft course.

She is a top instructor and knows her stuff. Cant praise her enough. Ex keeper at Marwell Zoo. They may have others but Netty is a great instructor.

Jon

Netty ran the course I was on in May this year, along with Bob, Rob and Steve assisting and I've certainly got no complaints. She (and the others) knew their stuff and got the information and skills across with no dramas. Top instructors!

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
i don't care if there male/female pink/green as long as they know something you don't and are willing to past it on who care's ?? the more female bushcrafters the better the woods can be a lonely place unless your in to breaking backs on hill sides :lmao:ie boke back moutian ..karl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE