Is it wise to carry a whistle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Having the kind of job that gets me into some pretty stupid places, the Fox 40 whistle is a permanent fixture on my keys, fastened to my belt. In the great outdoors, I also carry a Firefly military strobe, a firestarting kit and an Opinel knife in my trouser pockets. (I reckon in an emergency, I'm less likely to loose my trousres than any other item of clothing.)

Anybody who suggests that a metal whistle might freeze to your lips has obviously not tried running around with an Acme Thunderer on a neck cord. You soon learn to tuck it in your shirt (where it stays warm) after it smacks you in the teeth a couple of times!

Alan

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Living in a very active earthquake zone i try to keep a whistle in every room and i try to get everyone in the house to have one with them, be it on their keys pocket handbag etc.

It's really a no brainier as far as i'm concerned, even if you have a mobile and it has a signal or still works a whistle quickly and accurately notifies the searchers of your position.

As i tend to give whistles out and try and leave them out we do get through a few, the loudest i've found by a comfortable margin is the "Storm Whistle".
http://www.stormwhistles.com/

It's made of very tough plastic, isn't affected by the cold and we've even used them underwater in the summer.

Only downside is they're fairly bulky for a whistle and a very odd shape.

Couple of size comparison pics here.

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

As i say a bit bulky and a very odd shape, but if you have room they really are painfully loud.

Cheers
Mark

If you have ever had a good whistle blown right in your ear ... then you know how disabling it is!
A good way to get rid of nuisance callers is to loudly blow a whistle into the phone at them :D

No I havent had one blown in my ear but I have blown (not even at full blast) a whistle in a small room and I see your point and certainly won't be doing it again. :p

So would anyone be able to answer my question about how you should signal for help, do you keep blowing after the other person responds or do you wait for another signal to start blowing when they are trying to locate you etc. Or is it case of send and recieve until they get to you?

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
If you have ever had a good whistle blown right in your ear ... then you know how disabling it is!
A good way to get rid of nuisance callers is to loudly blow a whistle into the phone at them :D

Not sure about the law on this but you might need to give them reasonable notice - otherwise bursting their eardrum might be regarded as an excessive response - especially if (say) it's someone with asthma phoning for help and they can't speak (but can only breathe heavily:)

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

You need to careful doing that as it can be classed as assault and as they are calling you they have your details should they need to pass them on to the police.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
I carry a whistle in my keyring all the time. It is useful in more scenarios than for rescue.

When I teach "Hitta Vilse", the Swedish version of "Hug a tree", we focus on THREE. Three things to do (hug a tree, make three of something and build a shelter) and three blows in the whistle. The recommended way to respond to three blows is just to walk towards the sound. Maybe if you are a lonely person hearing the sound you might whistle back once or twice, but if it is a search party all "responses" will blur the real signal.
A whistle also gives a kind of security to kids and parents walking in the woods. You do not need to walk far to not see each other. A whistle blow and the parents find their kid in two minutes instead of a search party five hours later.

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
Its good to see so many people carry whistles, but there seems to be some confusion over how to use them!

HELP REQUIRED 6 blasts in quick succession repeated after one minute

MESSAGE UNDERSTOOD 3 blasts in quick succession repeated after one minute

RETURN TO BASE a prolonged succession of blasts

SOS 3 short 3 long 3 short in quick succession repeated after one minute

you keep whistling until the two parties are in visible contact

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
The six blasts answered by three is not practiced in Sweden. I asked one of the top swedish survival instructors (who also bought the Hug a tree concept ro sweden) why there are different ways of doing it. According to him they did not have any whistle signal standard in Sweden and looked around. Apparently there are different standards in US and Europe and in the European mountains.
They eventually decided to go with three blasts because three of everything else is a distress signal, to make it simple. You make three fires, you put three "something" on the trail etc. In the story read to the kids during the Hug a tree/ Hitta Vilse course the kids blows three times and grandpa whistles back. However that is not recommended since the "reply" might confuse searchers further away.

If someone is lost, and the search party is out looking, I doubt three blasts or six make any difference.
The Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_signal) gives both three AND six blows as a distress signal and referring to THREE of everything else.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Whistles are one thing but if you really want to be heard at a distance get a piccolo :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE