Is is possible to "glue" a pillar of birch bark together by heating/burning it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello I wanna do a birch bark knife handle and I've heard that in the old times they heated/burned together the stacked birch bark on the knife tang, no additional glue needed. But there is one problem, I've done test pieces and it fails :(.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I would think that the discs of bark are burnt on to make a tight fit and the handle is secured together by peening the tang over a butt plate. The bark wouldn't rotate on the handle becaus the fit was so close and there would be a little edhesive nature to the resins in it, but I doubt that the burnign on would be sufficient on its own. Unless there is also the liberal application of pitch glues as well?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
there's a guy on British blades(and here i think) iirc he is called Nylund? he heats the semi finished birch stack handle(pommel on and a little compression all on the knife) in an oven to around 100degrees c, the compresses more and peens the butt plate on firm, will have a search for his thread explaining it!

Last edited:

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Well I gave up on the fire gluing birch bark technique and just saw/carved out the handle and tried it out. Made som full force "chicken wing" cuts and the handle held. I might add a little resin/tar at the front near the blade. There is a little flex in it because I only glued the first 3 and last layers. Now I only need to make a birch bark sheat for it :).

Birch bark is quite a forgiving material.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE