Irwin fans 'in revenge attacks'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Its just media hype mate..... no proof at all that it was anything to do with people getting revenge. Last time this happened it was blamed on imigrants using the tails in traditional medicine.
Wayne Sumpton of the state fisheries department said it was not clear if the incidents were connected to Mr Irwin's death.
So Steve was killed by a stingray, ..... stingrays are found dead with their tails cut off .... the media did their usual trick of putting two and two together to make a story.

He said fishermen who inadvertently caught stingrays sometimes cut off their tails to avoid being stung,
Seems alot more likely to be honest.

Ed

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Ed said:
Its just media hype mate..... no proof at all that it was anything to do with people getting revenge. Last time this happened it was blamed on imigrants using the tails in traditional medicine.

So Steve was killed by a stingray, ..... stingrays are found dead with their tails cut off .... the media did their usual trick of putting two and two together to make a story.

Seems alot more likely to be honest.

Ed

Very likely.

The Meeja,don't you just love 'em?

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I'm not so sure...
The truly seriously radically frighteningly hardcore fans of anyone can be kinda frightening at times.
When Kurt Cobain committed suicide, (supposedly) quite a few fans pulled copycats... wouldn't surprise me if at least a few Irwin fans went after stingrays!
Seems kinda strange though...

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i can uderstand fans being upset but this is a bit over the top dont you think
leon

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Sounds like rubbish to me. Anyway any real Irwin fans won't be blaming stingrays I'm sure.Nutters are nutters not fans. :D

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Montivagus said:
Sounds like rubbish to me. Anyway any real Irwin fans won't be blaming stingrays I'm sure.Nutters are nutters not fans. :D

Actually, the word 'fan' is short for 'fanatical' which means 'nutter' :confused:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
A nutter he may have been but he respected the animals he dealt with and wanted to safeguard them.

He would not be pleased to know that silly people were harming them in his name.

If that's whats happening,which I doubt.

Are there more tailless rays being found now than there were before his death?

I doubt that too.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I have wallet made from stingray (bought for me some 20 years ago) so guess I won’t be taking it with me to OZ!

stingray.jpg

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
drstrange said:
Actually, the word 'fan' is short for 'fanatical' which means 'nutter' :confused:

dont think so

fanatic: marked by excessive enthusiasm for and intense devotion to a cause or idea; "rabid isolationist"

nutter:a person who is regarded as eccentric or mad

some cross over granted but not really the same at all mate :)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
BorderReiver said:
A nutter he may have been but he respected the animals he dealt with and wanted to safeguard them.

He would not be pleased to know that silly people were harming them in his name.

If that's whats happening,which I doubt.

Are there more tailless rays being found now than there were before his death?

I doubt that too.
i absolutely agree with you, steve would not want anyone killing stingrays in his name, after all he has worked all of his life saving animals
leon

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Dosn't sound feasable to me but you never know :confused:
I was once told a story that the relatives of someone killed when their car hit a tree went and hacked the tree down with axes. Nothing to do with the car driver............................ it was the tree's fault. :confused:

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Dosn't sound feasable to me but you never know
I was once told a story that the relatives of someone killed when their car hit a tree went and hacked the tree down with axes. Nothing to do with the car driver............................ it was the tree's fault.
Well obviously the tree should have moved!

I agree that Steve Irwin would not want Stingrays harmed, but the really obsessed fans are often obsessed with the person; not their cause... they aren't really "true fans" but still...

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
jdlenton said:
dont think so

fanatic: marked by excessive enthusiasm for and intense devotion to a cause or idea; "rabid isolationist"

nutter:a person who is regarded as eccentric or mad

some cross over granted but not really the same at all mate :)

I was joking in my post. Hardly worth pulling me on realy mod (did you actually go to all the bother of getting the dictionary out and looking it up? :lmao: ).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE