Ireland meet up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Have you guys thought of inviting Antonio? He's a great guy and I'm sure he'd contribute to sharing knowledge/skills etc If your location doesn't work out I'm sure he can help with advice as well.

just a thought ;)

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
:confused: Antonio?

Don't know who he is, but I for one think it should be an open house policy. Come one, come all. :D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
He runs a Bushcraft School there called Wild Live.... As I said before he's a good bloke. I've emailed him, although I know he's a busy bloke.

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Just checked out the website Tony. Is Antonio in this forum? Can we contact him through this site?

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Hi,

I second what Tony said, I did a course with Anthonio last year in Castlewellan forest park, he is a very knowledgeable,a very good teacher and a very nice bloke. He has an e-mail address on http://www.wild-live.org/ site which is: info@wild-live.org

Oh and I would definately be interested in a meet up, work permitting that is.

Brian

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Yeah, he seems to be the man. I'll drop him a line to see if he can come along. And of course Brian, the more the merrier. I hope we can get as man people going as possible. Do you think you could make the first week in June ot is it too early?

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I spoke to Anthonio before when a meet this side of the water was mooted.
He seems well up for it and he has a little space in one of the Forest Parks (just) this side of the border that he uses for his classes. But as Tony says, he's a busy bloke.

Another thing that I had suggested previously for a first Irish meet is that it be in a forest park or ordinary campsite close to somewhere that skills can be practised rather than all meeting up and "heading for the boonies". It's not that I'm paranoid or anything.... But if for any reason anyone is not comfortable with the company, they have an easy out. It's not so much that I expect anyone to be a psycho (although I had an "interesting" experience back in by teens in Co. Clare, which will make a good campfire tale) as the fact that there are different levels of experience/fitness and different interests and reservations which can lead to people being made to feel uncomfortable, which then puts them off the whole sheebang, which is counterproductive.

Your thoughts please Gentlemen?

Blackthorn

Feb 2, 2006
Ireland
The first weekend in June should be ok for me.

I've heard of Antonio and Wild Live. It would be great if he could come but i suppose he is busy if thats his full time job. (AHHH if only :rolleyes:)

Think you might be right on the Forest Park,,,easy access option Nick. While a trek in the Mournes and a wild camp woulkd be fine for me i can see how it might possibly cause problems for a Bushcraft meet up.

Yeah so if we got a spot in Castlewellan or Tollymore it would be nice and people could come and go as they pleased. And keep it real informal like sodajoe said.

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Nick, I couldn't agree with you more. Nobody wants to be stuck in the woods late at night with some nut with an axe :yikes:
I'm okay with Castlewellan Park as long as there are no legal issues concerning having knives in public places. And of course the park is a lot more accessible than the Mournes.
I'm just wondering if we can fix a date first? How's the first weekend/week in June for you Great Pebble?

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Castlewellan sound bril to me too. I have done a course with Anthonio and can confirm that he not only a nice man but a good teach and learnt tons of stuff from him. The course I was on was actually done in Castlewellan so if he still does them there that might facilate all of us. Maybe.

James

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Is everyone happy then for Castlewellan to be the location or are there any other suggestions out there?
Nick, it would be great to get as many people down to the first Irish meet, would you propose another date that would suit you or would you prefer to sit this one out?

What are your thoughts?

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
It is unlikely that I will be able to attend a meet in the near future: but I hope you guys get to arrange some kind of meetup. You will never get a venue and date that suits everybody.

Blackthorn

Feb 2, 2006
Ireland
Antony,

Sorry that you cant come along. Any advice on who to or how best to approach getting approval from the National Trust or Forestry Service for holding something on their property?

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Well am up for any weekend in June. would it be of benefit met with one of the wardens of the park and see if they can help with advice or more the direct question never hurts.

James

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Yeah James, we could do that. If we could get Anthonio on-side we could possibly, maybe use his patch if we were really lucky and it suited him of course ;) But failing that it would be wise to check with the proper authorities.

MalIrl

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
West of Ireland
Lads,
Great to see ye have progressed thie so far while I've been "away". Unfortunately I only have one free weekend left in June, and it's not the first one. If this moves to the 10th for any reason, please let me know.......

Slán,
Mal

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE