Introducing a youngster to hunting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi all - I'm going to take my nephew out hunting in a week or two.

It will be his first hunt but he has been shooting with me a number of times so he is clued up on the do's and don't's.

I'd like to let him shoot ideally.

Any tips would be appreciated.

cheers
Andy

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Make sure that you are BOTH insured if not allready,www.basc.org.uk/en/young-shots/ is one i would reccomend if a bit pricier than the other shooting/fieldsports organisations of which there are lots out there.As far as other things are concerned,teach him or any other young shot that safety is the no.1 priority,safe backsops,safe gun handling.Impress upon him respect for quarry,land and other wildlife.If he hasn't actually taken any live quarry before,try and make sure that you set him up with a few shots that will boost his confidence while he is learning.If you join BASC or go on their website they are very into promoting young shooters(and so they should be)and there is lots of advice for you both.Hope this helps and i am sure that the experience will be very rewarding for both of you.

Last edited:

Aaron Rushton

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2011
S. Wales
best way i find is to just to let him carry the gun and walk around with it unloaded. making sure he adheres to keeping the muzzle down, never pointng in an unsafe direction, until he's ready, then let him shoot.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Can I suggest he's prepared for an injured animal so he knows how to dispatch quickly? I've heard of a coupla kids that were not expecting to see an animal distressed and it put em off, more because they didn't know what was being done was merciful.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
If your hunting for food, then I would encourage him to clean and dress a kill before killing. If the circumstance provides, an oppertunity to humanely despatch before actually shooting his own live target is a good idea. This will make or break his enthusiasm to actually take a life.

Eg, l take my youngest hunting. When snaring, I won't allow him to set a 'live' snare , until he is strong enough to neck the rabbit by hand . Hope this makes sense ?
Great that you can show him the way :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Can I suggest he's prepared for an injured animal so he knows how to dispatch quickly? I've heard of a coupla kids that were not expecting to see an animal distressed and it put em off, more because they didn't know what was being done was merciful.

:thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It might also help if we knew how old he is. I took my Godson on his 1st squirrel hunts this past season. I had wanted to start him more gradually by letting him accompany me unarmed when he was around 7 or 8 but circumstances didn't allow that so his 1st trip was with his .22LR this year at age 10.

BTW. Some of you have mentioned insurance and I've seen it on other threads before. Just what does it cover? Liability?

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers guys. I'm insured through the countryside alliance. I'll get him a membership too.

He's 12.

Cheers for all the advice guys. I think I'll let him see it all in action before he actually pulls the trigger himself. I'll show him how to dress the kill too.

I've had him shooting a number of times and he is a very good shot. I've hammered home the safety aspect every time the gun comes out and he's pretty clued up on that front.
I'll get a couple of practice sessions in before I take him with me.

I won't get home for a couple of weeks yet. but I'm hoping for good weather.

Cheers
Andy

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Cheers guys. I'm insured through the countryside alliance. I'll get him a membership too.

He's 12.

Cheers for all the advice guys. I think I'll let him see it all in action before he actually pulls the trigger himself. I'll show him how to dress the kill too.

I've had him shooting a number of times and he is a very good shot. I've hammered home the safety aspect every time the gun comes out and he's pretty clued up on that front.
I'll get a couple of practice sessions in before I take him with me.

I won't get home for a couple of weeks yet. but I'm hoping for good weather.

Cheers
Andy

Good stuff,let us know how you get on.

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
The hardest part for him will be not getting hot under the collar when a chance arises and taking a less than perfectly placed or rushed shot, I think that is a good reason to take the suggestion on board on showing how to dispatch a wounded animal. With rabbits I find a foot on the head and pull the back legs is the easiest and less likely to harm the young scrote :)
Last of all you might want to give him plenty of target time and make sure that he understands the trajectory of a pellet and hold over/under at different ranges before he takes a shot in the field, it will make it all the more rewarding when he makes his first kill and chances are it will be a clean one :)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Sorry - nothing yet.

The weather was so naff I didn't get a chance to take him out in my whole two weeks home. We had nothing but rain unfortunately. So it will have to wait.

All the best
andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE