Intro

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chr1sd

Dec 6, 2012
Newcastle
Hi.
Joined this site a little while back looking for ideas for outdoor kit, jackets, boots etc. My brothers currently serving with the Royal Marines and is a lot more familiar with the great outdoors than I. Im from the North East and not done much camping in my 36 years, but with some help from bro, planning on rectifying that this year with some regular excursions to the Lake District etc. So far accumulated a coupe of Montane jackets, Meindl Boots, PRI 45ltr Patrol Pack, Jetboil PCS amongst various other bits n pieces. Most of which from reading reviews on this site, so thanks :)

I recently won some 24 hour ration packs on Ebay, which turned out to be a 10-man 24hr ration pack from Vestey Foods rather than the 10x single 24hr packs I was expecting. Most of the items have a Best Before End of Jan 2013. Can anyone tell me if these will still be fine to eat through the coming 6 months, or are Best Before dates the same as 'Use By' dates and should I just bin them?

thanks in advance.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome to BcUK :D

Rat packs last for years past their sell by/use by dates so long as the seals on idividual packs are sound.

Usually there's a number on the box, more or less giving the menu. If you can quote that folks who've had those might be able to reassure you of their still good to eat-ness.

cheers,
Toddy

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Welcome to the forum, i think your rat packs will be just fine. At least they'll be edible, you can judge for yourself on the taste!

chr1sd

Dec 6, 2012
Newcastle
Hello :) and welcome to BcUK :D

Rat packs last for years past their sell by/use by dates so long as the seals on idividual packs are sound.

Usually there's a number on the box, more or less giving the menu. If you can quote that folks who've had those might be able to reassure you of their still good to eat-ness.

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks. Heres the link to the pack http://www.adventure1.co.uk/contents/en-us/p1438.html Made by Vestey Foods, All are still sealed and no damage to them.

Like I say i was looking for 10 x individual 24hr packs for 1 person, but bid on these by mistake DOH. They can still be split down I suppose but was concerned about the dates. If its ok to eat, I might just put them back up for sale and buy the individual packs instead.

chr1sd

Dec 6, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks for all the welcomes :) Just been looking through the out and about section and some of the photos are just awesome. :cool:

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
welcome chr1sd,

with all the information and knowledgeable people on this forum, you should be able to sell your packs AND be able to find enough wild food to be able to feed 10 men! :lmao:
austin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE