Interrailing tent advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
As stated above, I am planning on going interrailing with the girlfriend this summer, and I need lightweight 2 man tent advice. We will be taking backpacks, so we will need enough space for 2 x 48 litre packs to stay dry and the two of us to sleep in.

Really want something that means we can split the weight, and good in bad weather. Lightweight enough to lug through Europe for a month,

Shes not so keen on the camping idea but im confident I can swing it for at least a couple of nights per week.
Shes absolutely stubbornly 100% against tarp and bivvi/hammock
sorry lads.

Any advice appreciated!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
As stated above, I am planning on going interrailing with the girlfriend this summer, and I need lightweight 2 man tent advice. We will be taking backpacks, so we will need enough space for 2 x 48 litre packs to stay dry and the two of us to sleep in.

Really want something that means we can split the weight, and good in bad weather. Lightweight enough to lug through Europe for a month,

Shes not so keen on the camping idea but im confident I can swing it for at least a couple of nights per week.
Shes absolutely stubbornly 100% against tarp and bivvi/hammock
sorry lads.

Any advice appreciated!

Tarps and hammocks will not provide the privacy you might need in camping grounds where many European countries will require you to stay and they are not so good in the rain and muddy ground you would find in those places.

My advice, having traveled around Europe by rail, foot and thumb a few times is to travel as light as you possibly can, with the smallest backpack you can get away with and not to carry a tent at all.

When the desire to sleep out comes (and you are not on a beach on barely habited Greek island) buy a tent, a really cheap one from Tesco or one of many thousands of Chinese supermarkets you will find across Europe. This will set you back maybe £10, it'll be good enough for a night or more and when you are done with it, leave it in a youth hostel for someone else or donate it to someone else who might need it.

Even if you buy three or four tents on your journey, that'll still be cheaper than the chiroprater fees you'll pay later in life.

Have fun, post some photos and a trip report when you get back.

Edited to add:

A good poncho is worthwhile traveling companion, with a few bits of string you would also be able to put a basic shelter should you miss a bus/train or the bus/train doesn't turn up. :)

Last edited:
One of the luxe offerings? What's your budget?

oh yeah budget, that's a good one.. I'll come back to you. Gunna be tight!

Tarps and hammocks will not provide the privacy you might need in camping grounds where many European countries will require you to stay and they are not so good in the rain and muddy ground you would find in those places.

My advice, having traveled around Europe by rail, foot and thumb a few times is to travel as light as you possibly can, with the smallest backpack you can get away with and not to carry a tent at all.

When the desire to sleep out comes (and you are not on a beach on barely habited Greek island) buy a tent, a really cheap one from Tesco or one of many thousands of Chinese supermarkets you will find across Europe. This will set you back maybe £10, it'll be good enough for a night or more and when you are done with it, leave it in a youth hostel for someone else or donate it to someone else who might need it.

Even if you buy three or four tents on your journey, that'll still be cheaper than the chiroprater fees you'll pay later in life.

Have fun, post some photos and a trip report when you get back.

Edited to add:

A good poncho is worthwhile traveling companion, with a few bits of string you would also be able to put a basic shelter should you miss a bus/train or the bus/train doesn't turn up. :)

awesome advice cheers dude! I don't suppose the polish lavvu ponchos would be a good idea then?
I like the idea of cheap tents and ditching them. Suits me fine.
I''' certainly post up pictures and what not afterwards. I'll write a note to remind me.
What litre backpack/weight you recommend taking? We're wondering 38-48 litres?

Thanks!!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"... I don't suppose the polish lavvu ponchos would be a good idea then?.."

Something with a floor may make life liveable in a muddy camp ground, it'll also stop cats and dogs visiting in the night. A poncho used as a tarp will allow you to bed down anywhere when it gets dark and move on first light before someone notices.

It'll keep the rain off too. :)

"...I like the idea of cheap tents and ditching them..."

Not very bushcrafty I know, hopefully someone will get some good use out of it afterwards :)

"...What litre backpack/weight you recommend taking? We're wondering 38-48 litres?.."

That sounds about right, you need something that will comfortably sit on your knees on crowded buses and trains, avoid packs with side pockets or ones that zip open all the way around, a simple, tough, top loading pack that feels comfy on your back and you are set. :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Getting a cheap tent and ditching it is hardly a responsible thing to do, you would be better off getting a second-hand good one and reselling it afterwards very good chances of getting your money back

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just use hostels, and the odd barn, most farmers will lend you one for a few franc's.. well Euros now.. also you get to know the locals.. thats what I used to do when Biking around france and all that,

keeps you away from the commercial camp sites... and can save you money.....

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Getting a cheap tent and ditching it is hardly a responsible thing to do, you would be better off getting a second-hand good one and reselling it afterwards very good chances of getting your money back

I am quickly adding that I'm not suggesting that the tent should be turfed in the camp site bin as you leave but should be left at the next youth hostel or donated to the Maltese Cross or similar, obviously buying a tent that was likely assembled by Vietnamese or Indonesian teenagers, working long shifts and being forced to live in dormitories while the by products of the tent production process are poured into a nearby river isn't particularly 'bushcrafty' but at least try to see that the tent has a longer life than similar ones that will be discarded after a weekend at Glastonbury or wherever. :)

For the record, I spent my nights backpacking around Europe and elsewhere under a 58 pattern poncho.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't blame your girlfriend for saying no to a tarp or hammock...you romantic fool you lol

Polish ponchos are too heavy and smelly so forget them, if your not taking a waterproof jacket each (daft not to) buy a couple of throw away plastic poncho's from Wilkinson or online.

Tent all the way. Get a three person not a two person, the extra room will be appreciated and generally the weight won't be a lot higher. Come March and the likes of Tesco and Wilkinson's will be selling dome tents for £10 - £20 which will do the job and you can dispose of on the way home to make way for your duty free :)

Take a little gas stove, make sure is Camping Gaz as the gas cans are available all over Europe. http://www.tesco.com/direct/camping...-stove/207-2190.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=207-2190 sort of thing.

Have fun, the wife and I did several similar trips 35 years ago and carried a 10kg Mountain Tent to sleep in lol. Check timetables for longer train journeys and see if they still do overnight trips and you can sleep on the train. We did the overnight Paris to Nice twice...don't know if they still run these; shame they stopped the London to Paris overnighter, that was a great start to a holiday.

Thanks all for your advice!
this looks cheap, and I have a £5 off coupon.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/gelert-lunar-2-man-dome-tent/215-4968.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=215-4968

I don't blame your girlfriend for saying no to a tarp or hammock...you romantic fool you lol

Polish ponchos are too heavy and smelly so forget them, if your not taking a waterproof jacket each (daft not to) buy a couple of throw away plastic poncho's from Wilkinson or online.

Tent all the way. Get a three person not a two person, the extra room will be appreciated and generally the weight won't be a lot higher. Come March and the likes of Tesco and Wilkinson's will be selling dome tents for £10 - £20 which will do the job and you can dispose of on the way home to make way for your duty free :)

Take a little gas stove, make sure is Camping Gaz as the gas cans are available all over Europe. http://www.tesco.com/direct/camping...-stove/207-2190.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=207-2190 sort of thing.

Have fun, the wife and I did several similar trips 35 years ago and carried a 10kg Mountain Tent to sleep in lol. Check timetables for longer train journeys and see if they still do overnight trips and you can sleep on the train. We did the overnight Paris to Nice twice...don't know if they still run these; shame they stopped the London to Paris overnighter, that was a great start to a holiday.

I have no gas stove at all, and no experience with them other than the huge heavy camping jobs in a plastic briefcase type thing, that take the deodorant can type gas that is cheap as chips you can buy from mostly anywhere.

I would have thought trangia would be good one too seeing as you can get dirt cheap de-natured alcohol all over EU.

I hadn't thought about asking farmers and sleeping in barns. Some friends said they had an amazing time sleeping on the trains and beaches, unfortunately our route will not go to beaches, but the woman loves her beaches so i expect that will change. She also loves her beauty sleep so I can't imagine we'll be doing that much camping and sleeping on trains. (So leaving the tent behind each time might not be the best of ideas now I've thought about it harder, because I don't know when we'll use it, and we might use it for one night in one country and then 5 days later use it for a few days.)
She'll be grumpy all the time if we do most of the sleeping rough because she's never really travelled before, but hostels are getting expensive now! :/ at least in main cities. Not sure what to do there. I went back packing around the world when I was 11 with my parents. Admittedly most of it has faded in my memory now :'( :'( good times. No worries when you're 11. But She is not a travelled gal, she's always holidayed in resorts and various family friendly place, and has never left Europe ("apart from lapland if that counts!" haha) and not even been to eastern europe. We have both, unfortunately, been subjected to constant horror stories via the media and other silly people of the dangerous world out there and (her more than me!:rolleyes: promise) constantly have it in the back of our minds of stuff being stolen, being mugged,....worse...(seriously like every couple of weeks there is a travelling couple raped somewhere in the world its horrible, no wonder yanks like their guns)
I would like to put these fears to bed.

The plan is to easy jet to Munich, because i have a v.good friend there, who will put us up, and it's £60 return with easy jet +£50 for the bags so not alot. Although Harwich to Hook of Holland and trains to munich via the rest of germany is also an idea we've had.

Sorry about the lengthy reply. There were a few things I needed to get off my chest. :(

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
When my future father-in-law asked if I could keep his daughter in the style to which she was accustomed, I replied, "No, but I can accustom her to the style in which I can keep her." This is a work in progress. She was a film producer's London born urbanite. I was a penniless 60's dropout into sea, mountains and wild places (and wild times).

We did something similar to what you are planning nearly 50 years ago, ending up in Crete before there were any tourists when it was still wild and raw after WW2 and the Greek Civil War, and still have happy memories. We also went across the US from Miami to San Francisco and back with two small boys, living in the National Forests: they still retain vivid memories of this time. After I dropped back in and became a respectable schoolteacher, we spent most holidays seeking out wilder parts of Europe. We have had the odd hairy moment such as being mugged in Madrid, and encounters with armed drug dealers in the US. But such things are the stuff of travellers' tales to tell your grandchildren- and frighten their parents!

As to the practical things. I'd never go anywhere without a two person tent. It provides emergency shelter from rain,sun, bugs and prying eyes. I tried the cheap tent idea in the US and regretted it. (My wife prefers hotels in towns, but bashas in the wild.) CampingGaz is readily available in towns and on campsites, but cooking alcohol is available in even the most remote spots, so I'd go for mini-trangia. (My wife prefers a Gaz stove as she sees early morning tea brewed in a hurry as a basic survival need).
All that advice about going light as possible is right. You'll more often regret lugging something than not having something.

Have fun, enjoy, and post the results.

PS At some stage on the trip you'll have an almighty row and vow you never want anything to do with the other one. We've done this for over 50 years!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks all for your advice!
this looks cheap, and I have a £5 off coupon.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/gelert-lunar-2-man-dome-tent/215-4968.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=215-4968

I have no gas stove at all, and no experience with them other than the huge heavy camping jobs in a plastic briefcase type thing, that take the deodorant can type gas that is cheap as chips you can buy from mostly anywhere.

I would have thought trangia would be good one too seeing as you can get dirt cheap de-natured alcohol all over EU.

I hadn't thought about asking farmers and sleeping in barns. Some friends said they had an amazing time sleeping on the trains and beaches, unfortunately our route will not go to beaches, but the woman loves her beaches so i expect that will change. She also loves her beauty sleep so I can't imagine we'll be doing that much camping and sleeping on trains. (So leaving the tent behind each time might not be the best of ideas now I've thought about it harder, because I don't know when we'll use it, and we might use it for one night in one country and then 5 days later use it for a few days.)
She'll be grumpy all the time if we do most of the sleeping rough because she's never really travelled before, but hostels are getting expensive now! :/ at least in main cities. Not sure what to do there. I went back packing around the world when I was 11 with my parents. Admittedly most of it has faded in my memory now :'( :'( good times. No worries when you're 11. But She is not a travelled gal, she's always holidayed in resorts and various family friendly place, and has never left Europe ("apart from lapland if that counts!" haha) and not even been to eastern europe. We have both, unfortunately, been subjected to constant horror stories via the media and other silly people of the dangerous world out there and (her more than me!:rolleyes: promise) constantly have it in the back of our minds of stuff being stolen, being mugged,....worse...(seriously like every couple of weeks there is a travelling couple raped somewhere in the world its horrible, no wonder yanks like their guns)
I would like to put these fears to bed.

The plan is to easy jet to Munich, because i have a v.good friend there, who will put us up, and it's £60 return with easy jet +£50 for the bags so not alot. Although Harwich to Hook of Holland and trains to munich via the rest of germany is also an idea we've had.

Sorry about the lengthy reply. There were a few things I needed to get off my chest. :(

Couple of things.

Trangia, yes, without a doubt the best option but as I'd no idea of your experience I went the simple route with the Gaz stove. The Trangia 27 is the smallest set. Packs up small and contrary to what some would say its not back braking heavy. The basic set comes with two pots and a fry pan lid. The Trangia kettle fits in the set too.

http://fuel.papo-art.com/ scroll down for the name of alcohol your visiting. Personally I would take a Trangia AND the kettle. Although the lid on the kettle is big enough for you to use it as a cooking pot its nice to have a kettle and one clean pot in the morning so you can make your good lady a cuppa.

Often talked about here in the past is http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Asaklitt-Spirit-Stove/34-3320 No kettle for that so you'll need to wash up after your last meal; good little stove.

If you like this gal and want any hope that she will spend time out camping with you in the future then you'll need to make this trip as comfy as you can which really means camp sites of which there are thousands dotted all over Europe and very often are of a high standard. What would be nicer for her, trying to wash out of a 1.5l pot or walking to the shower block?

Do the right thing by her and stick to sites and cheap Pensions once a week, a real bed in a real room will be very welcome I'm sure.

Nearer the date if your stuck for a stove I'll give you one, just remind me OK?

Go and pamper the gal and enjoy the trip.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
two entances and a porch, theres a fella selling a terra nova quazar new for a reasonable price. Its not high, but if your not planning on an argument, a larger tent is required.

two entances and a porch, theres a fella selling a terra nova quazar new for a reasonable price. Its not high, but if your not planning on an argument, a larger tent is required.

Can you link me? Getting things right now is almost a no no. I'm student-broke until summer. :/

Couple of things.

Trangia, yes, without a doubt the best option but as I'd no idea of your experience I went the simple route with the Gaz stove. The Trangia 27 is the smallest set. Packs up small and contrary to what some would say its not back braking heavy. The basic set comes with two pots and a fry pan lid. The Trangia kettle fits in the set too.

http://fuel.papo-art.com/ scroll down for the name of alcohol your visiting. Personally I would take a Trangia AND the kettle. Although the lid on the kettle is big enough for you to use it as a cooking pot its nice to have a kettle and one clean pot in the morning so you can make your good lady a cuppa.

Often talked about here in the past is http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Asaklitt-Spirit-Stove/34-3320 No kettle for that so you'll need to wash up after your last meal; good little stove.

If you like this gal and want any hope that she will spend time out camping with you in the future then you'll need to make this trip as comfy as you can which really means camp sites of which there are thousands dotted all over Europe and very often are of a high standard. What would be nicer for her, trying to wash out of a 1.5l pot or walking to the shower block?

Do the right thing by her and stick to sites and cheap Pensions once a week, a real bed in a real room will be very welcome I'm sure.

Nearer the date if your stuck for a stove I'll give you one, just remind me OK?

Go and pamper the gal and enjoy the trip.
Thank you so much for the kind offer!!
in regards to the spirit burner, does it matter what brand I get? They go as cheap at £4 on amazon. up to £10 for the real thing.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-...&qid=1390612672&sr=8-2&keywords=spirit+burner
http://www.amazon.co.uk/BRASS-ALCOH...&qid=1390612672&sr=8-3&keywords=spirit+burner

and the trangia one is £10

If I took the trangia/spirit burner only, it would work in this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EXNWSNC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AAYUMNJ7FMOPB

that way I can also use hexi tabs, and wood too. Hexi tabs are quick as gas for the old boil up if you break them into quarters or whatnot. I love my army hexi burner I'll be taking that regardless as a backup. as for cookset, that's something I'll be thinking about for a a little while. I'm going out as much as possible to see what suits me best and what I think will work.

Thank you SO much for all the advice. We will have been together 3.5 years on this trip and I really want to do this kind of thing in the future. Strangely the more time we spend together the less we fight because we sort of get in sync. I dislike "camping sites" but any camping is good for me so I will try and find decent places with a clean shower block, and a sleeping arrangement that is comfortable.

She has a bad back if she sleeps on those foam roll mats. Any ideas for a more comfortable nights sleep? Something decently padded but not too heavy? :rolleyes: I know it's a lot to ask but I've always just had a foam roll mat and my sleeping bag. I'm fairly new to changing my sleeping arrangements. I mean, I haven't even slept under tarp before. Always been a tent.

Now comes the decision, cheap tent that I can 'ditch'? Tarp for emergencies in the bag for the entire trip?
I DO have a eurohike tent I've had for 10 years that I can put up blindfolded. The weight splits fairly evenly and has space for both of us plus kit. She's stayed in it with me several times and not really complained. Just need to sort out the comfort level INSIDE the tent....:/ Having said that it is old. Not sure about weight and size. Has tent technology really changed that much?

Last edited:

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
two things, having used many variants of trangia, I have come to the realisation that the Swedish army sets are by far the best. around 8 pounds and will last years. I've sold our given away all my consumer camp stoves and now just use this. I trust it.

other thing, you don't want to be lugging around a dirt cheap tent. they are heavy and not very reliable. also if you get bad weather they are miserable to be in. grab something designed to spend time in and that you might even use when you get back. didn't catch your budget but sports direct have the wild country version of a quasar in for 100 pounds in the sale. made by terra nova. Has an extended porch to cook in and should last ten years or more treated well. Much more economical especially if you save money and get the Swedish army trangia.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...We have had the odd hairy moment such as being mugged in Madrid, and encounters with armed drug dealers in the US. But such things are the stuff of travellers' tales to tell your grandchildren- and frighten their parents!..."

+1 to this

Do not worry too much about crime, you are probably more likely to be robbed if you remain at home. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
two things, having used many variants of trangia, I have come to the realisation that the Swedish army sets are by far the best. around 8 pounds and will last years. I've sold our given away all my consumer camp stoves and now just use this. I trust it.

other thing, you don't want to be lugging around a dirt cheap tent. they are heavy and not very reliable. also if you get bad weather they are miserable to be in. grab something designed to spend time in and that you might even use when you get back. didn't catch your budget but sports direct have the wild country version of a quasar in for 100 pounds in the sale. made by terra nova. Has an extended porch to cook in and should last ten years or more treated well. Much more economical especially if you save money and get the Swedish army trangia.

Heavy and slow bricks in your pack, stick to the real thing.

I'd not take a twig burner or hexi if the OP's girlfriend is a camping newbie, last thing she'll want is woodsmoke on her clothes. The OP is also on a tight budget so the extra 1k of a cheap dome is acceptable and the three man are big enough to ride out some inclement weather.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest

I'd not take a twig burner or hexi if the OP's girlfriend is a camping newbie, last thing she'll want is woodsmoke on her clothes. The OP is also on a tight budget so the extra 1k of a cheap dome is acceptable and the three man are big enough to ride out some inclement weather.

You won't get a cheap dome that weighs 1k. and why fork out £40 on a trangia and scrimp on a tent. makes no sense. good standard basic kit is much more sensible.

Last edited:
I've offered him the stove :) Around 3kg for a three person dome tent, not bad if you split it between two. When I said 1kg I meant 1Kg more than the £100 tents which are out of budget I believe.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coleman-W...re_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item1c389bdf76

Shop around on ebay and pick up a real Trangia for about £20, or buy the Clas Olson one I linked to.

do you think this will fit in the clas olson? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390674017397?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I've already bought that because I wanted a kettle I can chuck in my bag for day hikes but It would be good if I could fit in then I would save money. also the set is lightish

£100 will be fine for a tent, when it comes to it, and If I am planning on taking it back with me I will use it, I suppose its the choice now between cheaper tent and ditch it or better tent and keep it.
I'll look around for trangias, It seems there are differing opinions on here, though everyone agrees not to get the knockoffs

Hexi is going no matter what, and don't worry about her having woodsmoke and the hexi smell, shes fine with it. We went camping a couple of times last year and first time we had a fire on a permission (for my 21st), second time was at the chappel beer festival.
WP_20130817_012.jpg

anyone else have any thoughts on the woodgas? it looks like a chunky piece of kit so thats why i though trangia better because it includes a cookset. that's something we don't have.

+1 to this

Do not worry too much about crime, you are probably more likely to be robbed if you remain at home. :)

It's more that a few european travellers have been raped recently-ish (though i think that was india) that worries us, theft isn't a problem. It's getting hurt that is.

Can't find the quasar on s. direct http://www.sportsdirect.com/terra-nova
but as I said, can't buy it now, would buy it after I graduate in June ish time. Wish me luck for a 2:1.

At the moment I have something like this:
eurohike-tent-pack--2-person.jpg

Once again, thank you everyone for taking the time to read and reply. Knowledge is valueable and I appreciate you sharing with me.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE