Interesting camouflage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Fire Starter said:
I have been wearing dpm clothing for over 20 years whenever I'm in woodlands

I wear it because I like it. and because it's cheap and available to all, unlike the high cost outdoor clothing advocated by well known TV personalities

I am not a wouldbe squaddie never mind imitating our most elite and professional soldiers from the Special Air Services. I have seen other derogatory comments in this forum about use of dpm which are totally unfair - yobs can wear khaki and olive as well you know. These comments smack of snobbery to me...

ahh :rolleyes: you seem to be have misunderstood me, what I said was:

most bushcrafters avoid camouflage patterns where possible except in situations where good quality hard wearing clothing can be found cheap at surplus stores, where it will invariably but unfortunately be camouflaged, which is a trade off for the money saved.

But how many of us would actually pay out to deliberately have are clothing camouflaged? And why?

I did not advocate the use of high cost outdoor clothing promoted by well known TV personalities at all, quite the opposite, I said that people usually buy DPM clothing because it is cheap hard wearing and readily available, not because it is DPM

my question was why someone would deliberately pay out £200 for a multicam jacket for bushcraft, when they could pick up a cheap OD smock, the effect on visual appearance is negligible for almost all Mammals anyway, your scent will give you away long before the difference between a £200 multicam jacket and a £20 OD jacket will.

I personally wear kharki most of the time, bushcrafting or not, I like the colour, but none of my bushcraft gear is DPM this is because I regularly use it abroad, where being dressed as a soldier can have serious implications

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
"I personally wear kharki most of the time, bushcrafting or not, I like the colour, but none of my bushcraft gear is DPM this is because I regularly use it abroad, where being dressed as a soldier can have serious implications"

Too right! But some people still like cammo patterns, because, well, they like cammo patterns. I like that 70's curtain cammo that STOTRE pointed out. Very Camden Market.... I know a few London luvvies who would like that I'm sure!

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
Stuart

I didn't actually say that you personally advocate clothing as modelled by TV pesonalities, I'm simply observing that the said clothing is invariably expensive. Granted camo clothing can be as expensive, but this generally isn't the case - which, as has already been said, is why many non-military people choose to wear it..

I'm well aware that scent is a major give-away in the wilds, as is movement, however dpm does have the advantage over other materials in breaking up physical appearance. As you said mammals are colour blind, but they are not completely blind !!!

I have also travelled widely abroad in the pursuit of "bushcraft" and agree that wearing of dpm is not always advised due to local situations, but when out in the UK it is definitely my clothing of choice.

My main point however is that the wearing of dpm clothing appears to be 'looked down upon' by many members of this forum - I have read several comments that give this impression in other threads, and also of course there are your own comments: "most bushcrafters avoid camouflage patterns where possible " and "camouflage is usually counterproductive when it comes to maintaining a friendly image "

I know you are a mod here, but does that really qualify you to speak for "most bushcrafters" ???

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I know you are a mod here, but does that really qualify you to speak for "most bushcrafters" ???

Of course not, far from it !!!!, but I am allowed to voice an opinion, it is simply my observation based on those that I have met and spoken to so far that 'most bushcrafts' would prefer to not to wear camouflage where similar non camouflage clothing of equal price is available.

Based on the opinions voiced by 'most bushcrafters' that i have met so far, those that were wearing camouflaged clothing at the time did so because it was good quality for the money, not because it was camouflaged, and had non camouflaged clothing been available at the same quality for the money they would have opted for that option.

As for "camouflage is usually counterproductive when it comes to maintaining a friendly image "

I do believe that if a member of the general public were to stumble across a person clad in camouflage and carrying a knife etc there might be a greater potential for alarm (however unnecessary) than if said person had been dressed in mute colours due to the difference in stereotypical representation between the 'survivalist' and 'the woodsman' in the eyes of the public.

The essence of my original question was why would you spend £200+ on a jacket specifically in camouflage for bushcraft when you could buy the same or similar jacket for less if it wasn’t a special camouflage?

This question and my above statements are based on my own personal opinion, moderator or not I am as entitled to voice my opinion on the forum as any other member provided I am not being aggressive, abusive or argumentative to another member.

I have found your reply to my initial question to be aggressive, and I don’t think you have read though my posts properly before you replied as you continue to state that "camo clothing can be as expensive, but this generally isn't the case " :confused: is this not exactly what I have said from the beginning? I am not challenging that camo clothing is inexpensive I am asking why you would spend extra money specifically to buy clothing with a special camouflage?

I fail to understand why you feel the need to post so aggressively, if you really like wearing camouflage and would happily pay £200 for a jacket in a special camouflage that is your choice; I don’t challenge that and never have.

if you wish to continue this conversation with me please do so by PM so as to allow this thread to continue with its topic without aggressive posting.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know until I came across this forum I didn't know that my chosen recreation/ interest was called *Bushcraft*. However, even though many of the component parts of bushcraft are crafts & skills I teach and demonstrate, I've never worn camouflage in my life. I'm not in the armed services, and nor am I a remnant from a millenium survuival cult. For outdoors wear I like natural fibres or high quality modern, UV protect and breathable, materials.

I thought it interesting to read about the new patterns of camouflage, even though it is something that I personally won't wear; I might make a basha from some of it though :) and find the development of the designs fascinating; the skillful trick of the eye, etc.,

I did not realise that the attitude of myself and others to camouflage was considered to be a *better than....* one. That wasn't in any way intentional, but having had it brought to my notice, I have to admit, I think camouflage is, soldiering apart, (okay, from a female viewpoint, it's "eye-candy" :rolleyes: ) a bit tacky. Why pretend to be something one is not?

See camouflage.... "Has it got a gun? Is it looking suspicious?" is the reaction of many people. Those who fish can happily get away with it, (fishing rod, nets, bags, chairs, fankled lines & wee hooks = harmless) but none of the poachers I know wear it....and I want to wander in peace, not look like I'm up to something.

Entirely personal viewpoint, you understand. Do feel free to start a thread on this discussion; I'm sure the mods would help move the contentious posts over.

Nice links to interesting stuff stotRE et al.

Cheers,
Toddy

...most of the patterns that have been issued since world war 2 have been specific to enviroment...

That was precisely Crye's reasoning behind developing Multi-Cam (note the use of the word "multi") namely a camouflage pattern that works in a host of environments. Desert, woodland, urban. And the photos demonstrate that very well. Having seen Multi-Cam first hand and in use, I can honestly say that it is incredible.

Drop Zone's stuff is fantastic. Grey Wolf's leaves a lot to be desired, both in terms of quality and customer service.

I think that it is wise not to wear any camouflage clothing outside of your own countries for your own personnal safety.

In many countries,wearing camouflage could result in you coming to blows with security forces.You could be accused of being a spy or special forces which could result in torture, imprisonment or even execution. :(

fiacha

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
next time you're walking down the highstreet in a large town / city, count the number of people wearing DPM / ex Mil clothing. It's worn by so many people now, that nobody even takes a second look. (i don't wear DPM because I don't want people thinking I'm trying to be trendy)

Most of my (limited) bushcraft is practiced while I'm out fishing / hunting / birdwatching etc, so I don't have "specific " bushcraft clothing. I now wear realtree or advantage gear, and it has made a huge difference for me. A lot of times, I don;t have to worry about a hide as the camo is so good at breaking up my shape. once you sit still and keep an eye on the wind etc, the animals are completely unaware of you. I know that we have all had these experiences while wearing dayglo jackets etc, but I've had much more success since I started using camo.

I agree that you don't need to worry about the colours too much when watching wildlife, but good camo is very handy when not wanting to attract attention from other people. My local badger wood is also used by people for "alternative lifestyle" pursuits. Not being noticed by them means that I don't get mistaken for one of the gang. :D

sometimes i think that we are too worried about how we are perceived by others. My local park is very busy at the weekends, and I've never felt that people have been intimidated by me wearing camo. In fact I get the same worried looks when I'm wearing jeans and a t-shirt......maybe that's an entirely different issue. ;)

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
Stuart said:
Of course not, far from it !!!!, but I am allowed to voice an opinion, it is simply my observation based on those that I have met and spoken to so far that 'most bushcrafts' would prefer to not to wear camouflage where similar non camouflage clothing of equal price is available.

Based on the opinions voiced by 'most bushcrafters' that i have met so far, those that were wearing camouflaged clothing at the time did so because it was good quality for the money, not because it was camouflaged, and had non camouflaged clothing been available at the same quality for the money they would have opted for that option.

As for "camouflage is usually counterproductive when it comes to maintaining a friendly image "

I do believe that if a member of the general public were to stumble across a person clad in camouflage and carrying a knife etc there might be a greater potential for alarm (however unnecessary) than if said person had been dressed in mute colours due to the difference in stereotypical representation between the 'survivalist' and 'the woodsman' in the eyes of the public.

The essence of my original question was why would you spend £200+ on a jacket specifically in camouflage for bushcraft when you could buy the same or similar jacket for less if it wasn’t a special camouflage?

This question and my above statements are based on my own personal opinion, moderator or not I am as entitled to voice my opinion on the forum as any other member provided I am not being aggressive, abusive or argumentative to another member.

I have found your reply to my initial question to be aggressive, and I don’t think you have read though my posts properly before you replied as you continue to state that "camo clothing can be as expensive, but this generally isn't the case " :confused: is this not exactly what I have said from the beginning? I am not challenging that camo clothing is inexpensive I am asking why you would spend extra money specifically to buy clothing with a special camouflage?

I fail to understand why you feel the need to post so aggressively, if you really like wearing camouflage and would happily pay £200 for a jacket in a special camouflage that is your choice; I don’t challenge that and never have.

if you wish to continue this conversation with me please do so by PM so as to allow this thread to continue with its topic without aggressive posting.

I was somewhat dismayed after reading recent posts - I am not aggressive by nature and my apologies to the forum if my posts seem that way. I felt I was presenting my own personal opinion (as everyone else does) about the said clothing, and I tend to do this with enthusiasm.
My friends and I do wear dpm clothing when out and about in the woodland, we don't carry sheaf knives and we do not pretend or aspire to be soldiers (or eye-candy, unfortunately!), as I have already mentioned.

When I first became interested in this subject it was referred to as survival skills and the only readily available and suitable clothing was ex-military and I still stick with this after twenty years (probably too old to change my ways and views) I wear it because it is more economically priced, not because it has become £200 designer.

I fail to understand the belief that if a member of the public stumbled across someone clad in camouflage carrying a knife etc. might be anymore alarmed(however unnecessary) than if said person had been dressed in mute colours. Surely it's the KNIFE thats alarming - Not the clothes.
Oh its ok , he's wearing mute clothes? I dont think so!

I do respect your right to express your opinion - I trust you will allow me to do the same in the public domain, even though we have differing opinions.

Anyway I was not intending to cause a stir within the forum and I apologies to the forum if members deemed me to have been aggressive.

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
In Sweden nobody would raise an eyebrow if they met someone in camo out in the woods due to the large number of hunters.

However hunters tend to wear orange/grey large patterned clothes, many hunters that I know avoid green just beacause they get closer to the wildlife and at the same time are clearly visible to other humans.

I agree with Stuart that the army surplus in my wardrobe is bought beacause it's hardwearing and cheap, if I could afford the same quality clothes I would have bought that.

The only camo pattern I find attractive is the CADPAT, actually wouldn't mind a smock in it :p.

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
what the great Bard might say

DPM or not DPM, that is the question.

whether it is nobler to wear Olive green,

and to suffer thy mocking by Ray Mear fans.

Or to take arms against a sea of anti- Camo,

and by opposing end them? To Die, to Sleep no more in army clobber?

and by a sleep to say we end the heartache and the thousand natural shocks of

forking out for expensive smocks?

that flesh is heir to, tis a consumption devoutly to be wished. to die to sleep

:D :D

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I have often thought that certain ordinary tropical sport shirts were pretty good as camo patterns, although they were mostly of flimsy fabric and short sleeved, so it is a reasonalble suggestion.

In the United States there are a large number of commercially available camouflage patterns, most designed for hunting, particularly bowhunting. In fact, the designer of one well known pattern, either RealTree or Treebark, don't know which, graduated from the same high school as my wife here in Virginia (she has never heard of him). At one time it was not unusual for certain special forces types to wear commercial Sears Roebuck duck hunter camouflage. Sort of running the wrong direction, in a manner of speaking. Anyhow, wearing camouflage doesn't cause much of a stir if you wear it in the woods but there are still reasons to be careful (Like, does it make the game warden look at you longer?).

I personally think that some, but hardly all, military camouflage garments are very practical garments for outdoor use. I say outdoor use rather than bushcraft just to be broader in application. Included among my approved items are most British smocks (don't like a Velcro fastening front like on the latest), Dutch shirts and smocks, and --well, that's about it. I don't care for the American jackets or the M65 field coat, German items, French items, or much of anything else that I've had a change to really try out. I still like wool sweaters (pullovers or jumpers) and they are becoming scarce on the ground. And I still wear battledress serge trousers!

My son, now stationed in Germany with the US Army, just this morning received his issue of the new army combat uniforms (speaking of camouflage) but he didn't know when they would start wearing them. I guess when everyone has them. I wonder what the bad guys are wearing these days?

Oh, I don't know. I wonder where I could get a good Norfolk jacket?

SARHound

Jan 28, 2005
Canada
Spacemonkey said:
Interesting... I followed one of the links and found a company that knocks up clothing and accessories. I liked their smock, and they do it in this multicam for $399 (£200 ?) and Olive Green for $339 (£170?). Not too bad for a quality item that's fairly unique.
http://www.dropzonetactical.com/clothing/reccesmock.html

Multicam is the real deal.

The Canadian made smock above is the best made anywhere. You have to experience it first hand to believe it.
Incredible piece of kit.

Hound

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE