Interest in survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beach bum

On a new journey
Jul 15, 2004
cardiff
What do you think the general population is going to make of the governments
instructions " in the event of a terrorist attack" telling folk to lay in supplies of drinking water, batteries ready to eat food etc., :shock:
Possibly it might lead to a certain element going into survivalist mode :eek:):
what do you guys think :?:

regards

beach bum,

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
in my opinion,
most will see it as rubbish, some will take it seriously but do nothing, a small amount will go the survivalist route.

to be honest, the threat of bomb attack or chemical attack has been there ever since WW2, and the cold war started.
yes, we could be attacked and gassed, but there have been many years of opotunity from all sorts of factions, that haven't bothered.

NBC (or Nuclear, Biologial, and Chemical) warfare, is nothing new, remember everyone carried gasmasks in WW2, gas was never used!
i suspect it is some sort of political gamble to win votes.
ie "they give us info therefore we love the government because they care for us!"

take the leaflet with you and use it to light a campfire!
don't worry, do you really think the gov't want's us to sort their problems out? no, they want to! all the leaflett will say is the same the old Nuke leaflet said: stay indoors, have sealed food, and hygine without water.

don't bother! :wink:

worry about something more useful like, what the weather is going to be like at the BCUK get together!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
beach bum said:
What do you think the general population is going to make of the governments
instructions " in the event of a terrorist attack" telling folk to lay in supplies of drinking water, batteries ready to eat food etc., :shock:
Possibly it might lead to a certain element going into survivalist mode :eek:):
what do you guys think :?:

regards

beach bum,

OMG! Anyone know a cheap place to get S10's?

:lol:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
The fact that the government is backing this booklet up with TV ads tells me it isn't going to be the most compelling of reads ... :roll:

I think most people will have a quick read and toss it into the bin and forget about it, a small number will be freaked out by it.

For those interested, here is a PDF of the booklet.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
It reminds me of the sweet little film they had to show us what to do in the event of a nuke attack :rolmao: Doesn't really matter what you do,.if your gonna get burned, you get burned.Senior polititians,police officers and other non-contributing leaders of society will ,of course be preserved in secret luxury well stocked locations.If they're suggesting we make contingency plans,you can bet your mortguage they've already done it.Prols are generally dispensable. :soapbox:

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
If anything does happen, you can bet your bottom dollar we will be the last to hear of it - they wont want us to get in a panic, bless `em

Just like the Nuk threat, if your there when it happens - good luck and pray to sweet Jesus !

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Personally speaking (and having a slight inside knowledge in to the world of intel) I suspect the Government know there is trouble on the wind and is covering its own a**e - they are damned if they do, damned if they dont. But you can bet your bottom dollar the bleeding heart liberals would scream blue murder if something happened and the powers that be hadn't done anything! It is these people and there soft left wing attitudes that have left us so weak and vulnerable and it is they they will cry out first no matter what goes wrong! :yikes:

Sorry if that offends but I, like old mother nature herself am not into PC, and besides thats my opinion. :nana:

As we used to say before each patrol in Northern Ireland, remember the terrorist only has to be lucky just once while we need to to lucky all the time. :naughty:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I think Gary is right on the money. They are expecting trouble and are doing as little as possible while at the same time are covering their bunns. It's pretty much the same here in the States, except that a few of us here are taking it a bit further.

A few of us figure we will pass out flyers in our neighborhoods about getting a meeting together to discuss holding training seminars on basic first aid, threat assessment, home preparedness, vehicle preparedness, possible evacuation, etc. We have medics, sheriff and firefighters, as well as those that have put together some sort of home preparedness plan, that are willing to share what they know, so it should be a valuable series of courses. Special meetings for church leaders/elders, school teachers, etc., where large groups of people will need looking after are a priority as well.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
In Canada, we had an ever noticable amount of documentaries, TV & radio commercials, newspaper articles and flyers trying to alert the citizens of possible tragedies in the comming months. That was in the late winter and spring, now you hardly hear any more about it (tourist season). It was very obvious to those who notice that someone is trying to educate the larger population but it has fallen on deaf ears for the most part and on to already alerted ears in the very small minority. We have had some pretty devastating floods, forest fires, power outages, ice storms, hail storms, tornadoes etc over the last few years and with all of these examples most Canadians (urbanites) still blindly go about their way. They will scream of course and rail at the lack of preperation but on the whole it is their own lazy mentality that will have prevailed. I agree with RA and Gary that the government is doing a very poor job of alerting people but it is those very same people that don't want to hear, that are stopping the authorities from doing a better job by their constant caterwaling about being "PC". In my own "European" and "Aboriginal" family there are still some with no...zero...nada...zilch preperations for any problems they have been told but will not start learning or preparing. What can you do, keep trying on your own and sometimes you get an open ear and maybe it will stick.
just a thought

leon-1

To be honest I don't think that too many people have any interest in the site, it has probably had more hits due to the threads here and on british blades than it has seen in god only knows how long.

I didn't even know about it untill it came up as a thread on here :?:, Gary is right about the goverment covering thier asses, they may as well, they do bugger all else apart from try to screw you out of your hard earned, give it to immigrants and vote themselves large pay rises.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
To understand the leaflet & website, one needs to read between the lines and appreciate what they're really for.

They aim to prepare the population to accept the route that events may take if a serious terrorist (or other) incident ever occurs in the U.K. That is, that the Government will use every means at it's disposal to contain the incident. Life in those areas unaffected will continue "as normal", if you're unlucky enough to be in an area directly affected....so sorry citizen.

It may sound a touch paranoid, or conspiratorial, but simply put the resource that the nation can most easily afford to lose is the population. You & me, not to put to fine a point on it. We're expendable and easily replaceable (from a national point of view).

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Great Pebble said:
To understand the leaflet & website, one needs to read between the lines and appreciate what they're really for.

They aim to prepare the population to accept the route that events may take if a serious terrorist (or other) incident ever occurs in the U.K. That is, that the Government will use every means at it's disposal to contain the incident. Life in those areas unaffected will continue "as normal", if you're unlucky enough to be in an area directly affected....so sorry citizen.

It may sound a touch paranoid, or conspiratorial, but simply put the resource that the nation can most easily afford to lose is the population. You & me, not to put to fine a point on it. We're expendable and easily replaceable (from a national point of view).
Well put ... my thoughts exactly!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE