Insulated mid-layer?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I'm looking for a bit of advice on a warm layer to wear under my Ventile when sitting on cold nights.

I've had a Buffalo Active lite shirt for a couple of years which has been great but I'd like something warmer. I must be getting old :)

I've been looking at things from Nanok, Snugpak, Rab, Montane, .... the list goes on and that's where I run into a problem, there's so much choice and I can't decide. It'll be for use in the UK.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great, thanks.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I tend to layer up with Ullfrottes Stu when the weather turns. I usually have a 200g on anyway but adding a 400g or 600g keeps me toasty. My Buffalo Spec 6 shirt is good too but I don't tend to wear it near a camp fire.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
The Helly Wool jackets from Endicotts are superb. Or you could pay silly money and go for a Howies Yurt. I'm afraid I did and I live in it in winter - saving the Helly for dirty woods type situations.

Layering up is my mantra. Merino T shirt (cheap on Rock and run atm) Pendleton, Helly and jacket. Toast.

Edit: Here we go: http://www.rockrun.com/products/Smartwool-Microweight-Crew-Deal.html

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Thanks for the quick replies guys, sitting here with this splint on my hand is giving me too much time to look at my kit :)

I've been layered up in a 200g Icebreaker Merino, the Buffalo shirt, my Bison guide shirt and my Hilltrek Braemar and still been cold, maybe a heavier base-layer would be a better way to go.

That's a great price for the Smartwool Dougster

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Thats the way i'd go, or even adding a v thin layer, like a tee shirt, they are great for trapping an air pocket, obviouse down side with the sweat though, do you wear wristlets? they cover the back of you hand and you wrist about half way up your forarm, they all ways make me feel toasty.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It is supposed to bebetter to wear thin base layer but use outer layers to give warmth. I'd have a highly wicking and thin base layer then use multiple layers from there. IMHO you want the base layer to move moisture awayfrom the skin. I would still have synthetics and especially Polypro for that (smelly helly is great) then use the merion wool layers to soak up the sweat. You can get helly hansen prowool tops which have an open weave polypropylene inner and merino wool outer surface. IMHO that works better than just merino against the skin. Wool tend to hold the moisture more and can keep it close to the skin which can cool you down.

It all depends what you are doing and how hard you are doing it. Always de-layer when working hard then re-layer when you have stopped before you cool down. Also if walking start cool so you are at the right temp when walking then layer up as soon as you stop and layer down when re-starting.

I like thin fleeces myself. I also like RAB vapour rise jackets. They are a lot warmer than they look like they should be. I wore one over the same t shirt I wore whilst walking in summer!! That got me through the worst that this winter threw at me!! It really surprised me as I was in blizzards and whiteouts and strong winds up in the hills of the Lakes and it never let me get cold!!!!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think it is the wind resistant outer and the loose inner microfleece. It must trap a lot more air. It is annoying though when you pul your arm out you almost pull the inner with it. Still not completely sure it will suit you just thoguht I'd put it out there for you to consider.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Decided to go with a Woolpower 400g top from Tamarack to add to what I already have and see how that works for now, thanks for all the advice.

Order placed at 17:37 and got an email to say dispatched at 17:43, that's got to be some kind of record, I love Tamarack :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I am going more "old school" these days. I had a sheepskin jerkin made recently with large pouch pockets. Put on a base layer, Pendleton shirt, Aldi Merino jumper, jerkin and then Ventile smock and I pretty much guarantee sweat even if laying up for a shot in snow! In heavy wind and rain a wool short under sheepskin Gilet is still very warm with no other upper body clothing

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I once had a wool jumper my parents brought back from one of the Greek Islands of all places. I hated the style as it looked kind of like an Iceland jumper (I think) with the circular sort of pattern going around the neck, shoulders and back in a series of wiggley circles. The only redeeming features were the oils left in the wool so it shrugged off snow, sleet, hail and light to mid rain and it was so densely woven it would keep out winds so strong I would gete blown over before the wind got through!! I know that because I did get blown over once while wearing it. On top of that it was so very warm that even if I stopped walking I wouldn't get cold however when I was working hard uphill it seemed to handle the sweat well that was coming off my smelly helly lifa base layer under it. It was my very first softshell!!!!!

I am currently on my 5th softshell and I still reckon if that woolly jumper had looked better I would probably find it better than any of the others!! Still would wear my Rab VR though (I'm too label orientated).

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Go for a light primaloft jacket. Cheapish, light, extremely warm. Less sensitive to moisture than down. Packs up much smaller than wool jumpers. Or maybe a primaloft vest.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Decided to go with a Woolpower 400g top from Tamarack to add to what I already have and see how that works for now, thanks for all the advice.

Order placed at 17:37 and got an email to say dispatched at 17:43, that's got to be some kind of record, I love Tamarack :)

Wow, quick service indeed there Stuart! I've seen quite a few of these posts where people say they feel the cold terribly and have to layer up. I think I am quite lucky in that even when sitting around I just a synthetic base layer and a microfleece! I am wanting to try out wool instead of synthetic though. Going to be buying myself a merino wool base layer and a Bison Guideshirt soon, even if I do think its somewhat expensive...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE