Insect found at Rufus Stone in the New Forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
I wonder if anyone could help identify this insect which I spotted and photographed at Rufus Stone in the New Forest on Sunday 27th April.

I've seen hornet before but this didn't look like a hornet, it seemed to have too much Leg-age but it's body and abdomen were over an inch in length.

Averybigwasp.jpg

I apologise for the blurred photo, I had to hold the camera above the post which the insect climbed on top of and it was taller than me at 6'.

Is it a type of wasp ?

I'm sure someone out there will know.

scrubcutter

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2008
Dorset
Hiya P Wren,

It's a crane fly and is one of the wasp-mimicing species. Unfortunately, crane flies are not my forte so I cannot name the species. If you e-mail Alan Stubbs, organiser of the Crane Fly Recording Scheme (see the Biological Records Centre website www.brc.ac.uk) he may be able to help you - alan.stubbs@buglife.org.uk. If you can also supply a gird reference with the info' you've already supplied your name and record will go down into history (if it's a rare one).

The one in the photo has the typical legs spread and the wings held at an angle to the body typical of most crane flies. Also, only one pair of wings are visible indicative of a fly.

I hope no-one thinks I'm being condescending, but all flies have only one pair of wings; the hindwings are reduced to stabilisers. The bees and wasps, scorpionflies, butterflies, moths, etc. all have two pairs of wings (except of course those species that have reduced wings or lack them completely).

Scrubbity

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I hope no-one thinks I'm being condescending, but all flies have only one pair of wings; the hindwings are reduced to stabilisers. The bees and wasps, scorpionflies, butterflies, moths, etc. all have two pairs of wings (except of course those species that have reduced wings or lack them completely).

Scrubbity

I certainly don't take offence Scrubbs :)

Thanks for the info, that's what the forum is all about :D

scrubcutter

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2008
Dorset
Thanks Matt!

Ooh! I've just remembered the name of the group the crane fly belongs. It's one of the ctenophorines or Combe-horned Craneflies - which are all wasp mimics (I think).

Scrubbity.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The knowledge of folk on these forums never ceases to amaze me. I reckon you could pick any subject in the world and somebody here could answer it. Even physics, seeing how Stephen Hawking's a well respected but not often seen member here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE