inflatable sleep matt storage and folding

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vildor

Nov 6, 2010
Portugal - Lisbon
Hi!

I'm kind of new to inflatable sleep matts (not down matts). Been looking for answers, but haven't found any match.

Should one keep the matt open upon storage (at home, for long periods) or it's ok to keep it in the stuff sack?
And on transport, is it OK to keep "rolling" it always the same way, or should the folding be varied, as with a tarp?

And regarding the two previous questions: what bad happens if one does not do that? Loss of insulation? Matt not inflatting properly? Loss of (if any) water tightness?

P.S: Sorry for some bad english\ badly constructed sentences. If in doubt, will promptly clarify to the best of my abilities. And thank you in advance.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I keep my mats flat at home, store them under the bed, also with the valve open.
As for rolling them up for transport I start from the end without the valve but don't think I've paid attention to which side up I roll.
Had one for nearly 10 years now and it seems fine.

Bongo

Sep 28, 2011
Worcestershire
I'll second that i always store mine flat and with the valve open.

I have seen some of the cheaper mats delaminate along the crease where folk have folded them, this is over a number of years though.

Dan

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have a vango self inflating mat. It lives rolled up ready to go and has been fine over 3years.
I would say its better to keep them flat like Resnikov says but i just dont have the space.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE