Inflatable Pillow Recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bearbait

I seem to be in need of an inflatable pillow, but not one of those ones shaped like a horseshoe that fit around one's neck on a plane or train though. Preferably with a pillow case that can be washed, or it can be washed itself. Doesn't have to be super lightweight as it'll mostly be carried via a vehicle.

There seem to be lots out there, so any recommendations?

Ta.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
To be honest, they'll all much of a muchness.
Anywhere between £5 and £10 will do you fine.
Any less than that and it'll leak, any more and you'll just be throwing money after nothing.

D

Deleted member 56522

Don't bother with blow ups, take a pillow case and stuff it with jumpers and/or fleece.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats good in theory but in practice it is a faff to make a neat and comfy pack.

I use a blow up with a cotton cover I made myself these days

D

Deleted member 56522

Thats good in theory but in practice it is a faff to make a neat and comfy pack.

I use a blow up with a cotton cover I made myself these days
I think 40+ years of using it, might just take it beyond "theory". Although, usually I just used something like a shirt or T-shirt as the cover. The only thing I'd add is to fold the fleece so that the zip is downward and to remove everything from the pockets.

Reactions: oldtimer

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I seem to be in need of an inflatable pillow, but not one of those ones shaped like a horseshoe that fit around one's neck on a plane or train though. Preferably with a pillow case that can be washed, or it can be washed itself. Doesn't have to be super lightweight as it'll mostly be carried via a vehicle.

Ta.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The mad houses are full of people who tried to sleep on inflatable pillows.

I highly recommend to use the spare clothing bag as a pillow if not the entire rucksack.

The only lightweight exception from that is the Klymit Inertia Ozone , grey. That's an air mat that has a pillow attached.

Last edited:

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk

I highly recommend to use the spare clothing bag as a pillow if not the entire rucksack.
I prefer to grubby or sometimes wet rucksack in the porch of my tent.
An inflatable pillow is very easy to use - it can be used in addition to clothing items. I’d suggest if folk are struggling with them they probably should stay at home and take a hard look at themselves.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
An inflatable pillow is very easy to use - it can be used in addition to clothing items. I’d suggest if folk are struggling with them they probably should stay at home and take a hard look at themselves.

Well put that man!

The 'stuff some clothes in something' approach sounds like a good one. But there's always a couple of things that have made me wonder about it - do I take extra clothes on a warm summer's day specially to sleep on, or should I strip off those warm clothes on a cold winter's day to sleep on?
An inflatable pillow is a lighter, smaller, and very simple option.
But, as ever, each to their own!

Reactions: nigelp

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I carry a light fleece jacket through the hottest summer conditions mainly as my pillow filling. As my journeys are very long and also touch different altitudes the originally intended use becomes interesting from time to time though, although in such cases I also would survive without it.
If it's cold I wear a second one and the pillow jacket is the spare / change / just in case second option.

The lighter the stuff the more slippery it is usually. Most inflatable pillows simply slip around on most inflatable mats. But waste your money how you like. After trying one or two dozen mats and pillows you probably will find a convincing solution.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Pillows, I find, are very personal things.

I find mine doesnt slip but bear in mind I am not in a bag, I am covered by a quilt with a cotton batting quilt underneath me.

When I use an inflatable mattress (rare these days) I have a cotton cover on it I made from an old sheet.

So, no slipping.

Whatever it is you will need a cloth cover for comfort or cleanliness...I made one out of an old sheet, and it could be stuffed if you had dry clothing to spare

Just a inflatable on its own is sweaty ghastliness

D

Deleted member 56522

Poetry!
After trying one or two dozen mats and pillows you probably will find a convincing solution.
The greatest inventions were first, the foam mattress, which for anyone who started by sleeping on blankets was a great leap forward. The second was the thermorest type 20-30mm blow up mattress with internal insulation. The third revelation ... was learning not to blow up the thermorest completely and putting down a foam mattress to stop punctures (and leaving inflated between use). Ours have lasted over 20 years.

The only thing I've found better than a jumper/fleece pillow, is the pillows from my bed. I could imagine that somewhere there is a blow up pillow that works, there is no way a "squashible" pillow is any better (when subject to loading) than an old pair of socks ... and at least the socks will give you pleasant dreams of cheese, rather than remind you of your bachelor days without a girlfriend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightjar

May 19, 2009
Belfast

Ta.
Inflatable pillows can be sweaty because of direct contact and also cold in the off season . I recently bought a Vango Excalibur pillow for about £5.00 or so . If I find its too low I put it on top of something else.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion

Ta.
If weight isn’t an issue, have a look at travel pillows that are like a smaller, synthetic version of a normal pillow. I’ve got one with a fleecy side and a slippery side (would prefer if both had been non-slippery) that has been great for hammocking, camping, and generally around the house. It does compress for packing, but the main benefit is that it feels and behaves like an ordinary pillow when you sleep on it. Mine is some cheap outdoorsy brand like hi-gear or something like that and it looks as good now as it did 15 years ago!

I’ve also got a Sea To Summit inflatable pillow for times when weight or space is a concern. I’m a side sleeper so I need a pillow and the whole clothes in a bag does not work for me, possible because I move around a lot when I sleep.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've found a normal sofa cushion is quite effective as a pillow and takes up less room than a normal one.
I need a bit of comfort and a decent pillow is a must.
It squishes nicely inside my sleeping bag hood, and has just the right amount of floofyness to support my head and neck comfortably. Yes it's a bit bulky, but no pillow is one sacrifice I won't make.

Reactions: SaraR and nigelp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE