Inflatable mats & pillow users

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I've used a Thermarest 3/4 length somethingorother for decades. Never had a puncture nor any other problem with it but I'm always very careful to avoid thorns and broken glass on the ground. I do find it slippery and often enough wake up looking for it. It packs down to about the size of a litre bottle, which is the main reason I'm still using it. Recently when I was camping with a group one of the guys took ill and I had to take some of his kit home with me. He has a much newer Thermarest than mine. I unpacked it to store for a couple of weeks and I was very impressed with it. Compared to mine it seemed much thicker for the packed volume, and the surface seemed as if it would probably not be so slippery although I didn't actually use it. It did however take a lot longer to inflate itself than mine does. Still, now I think it might not be long before I upgrade my sleep mat to the 21st century. :)

Having said that, even my 25-year-old Thermarest is a lot more comfortable than one of the CCF mats. I use them now and again but I can't say I really look forward to it. A couple of wool blankets is better if you can take the weight and bulk.

As for pillows, I'm probably not the best person to ask. I had a neck injury in a cycling accident about 30 years ago and since then I've never used a pillow, I just use something like a big sock stuffed with clothing under my neck. I don't know how much that's just because now it's what I'm used to. For a few years after the injury using a pillow caused a lot of pain but I don't have any trouble with the injury any more and I still don't want a pillow.

One thing I'd recommend against is blowing with your mouth into any inflatable mat. You'll pump a lot of moisture and organic particles into it that way, and probably start all sorts of moulds growing in there.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
True, coughing and spluttering into the mats innards probably didn't help it's life expectancy, but it was so frustrating trying to get it to self-inflate. It seemed that even after 10 mins it had only half inflated, do you find this with other manufacturers mats too? I once tried letting it do its thing, then sealing it, lying/rolling on it to try and get the insides to 'open up' more, then opening the valve to let in a bit more, and it helped a little but was a lot of faff. Having a little push-valve thingy on the mat sounds the best idea.

Ged, have you tried the inner bag from a box of wine as a sort of pillow? Perhaps half inflated and folded in half again it'd be more like the 'neck rest' you describe than it's usual pillowy state. Myself, I have a couple of little red inflatable pillows that are handed out on night trains with Norwegian state railways. Surprisingly handy, and free. I'm sure other train/airlines must do something similar too.

I use the Exped 7DLX too (in a hammock, and on the ground), and absolutely love it. I had a Thermarest Trail Light Regular prior to that and, although it was light, was very uncomfortable (and a little slippy...).

For a pillow I made myself a small traditional style pillow case out of waterproof ripstop nylon (stops any sweat getting my clothes wet) but with a piece of Microfleece sewn onto one side for a little extra comfort (although I am quite particular about what I place my noggin on). I just fold a jumper and shirt up, and place it inside. It sounds a little 'pedantic', but if you are used to sleeping with a normal pillow, then so far, this is the closest I've got. The key is to fold your clothes flat, so you get volume as well as evenness. It weighs a grand total of...wait for it...66g :)

Another avenue I'm thinking of trying out is a zip up cushion cover - no escapes that way (but if you sweat you may end up with wet clothes...).

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... It seemed that even after 10 mins it had only half inflated, do you find this with other manufacturers mats too?...

Yup. I try to unroll the mat to start it inflating first thing after setting up the shelter, whatever it is. Then it can get on with it while I cook, brew and generally faff about getting ready for bed. As I said, my old 3/4 Thermarest is a lot quicker than my friend's new full-length mat, but it still isn't what you'd call quick. After it's been rolled up in my pack for half a day it needs a good 20 minutes to be reasonably well inflated. When not in use I store it fully inflated.

Ged, have you tried the inner bag from a box of wine as a sort of pillow? ... I have a couple of little red inflatable pillows that are handed out on night trains with Norwegian state railways ...

The trouble with anything inflatable for me is that i sweat a lot, and the pillow tends to be a cold spot so it would collect moisture and just make that worse. I don't need anything bulky, so something as simple as a jumper rolled up into one of its own sleeves is fine for me.

Last edited:

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
I'm a side sleeper so really miss having a couple of proper pillows when camping. I used an inflatable pillow from Decathlon add extra height to a jumper in a stuffsack. Only a fiver and folds down to nothing. I think the depression in the middle makes it better most of the other cheapies.

zoom_asset_11627837.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE