Inflatable mats & pillow users

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
Just wondering from folk who use either infating mats or pillows how good they are? Compared to an MOD roll matt and a jacket rolled up what sort of difference will be noticed?

Finally decided last night that perhaps i'm almost old enough to not have to completley "rough it" anymore.

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
I have used foam mat and now have a semi army surplus blow up/self inflating one, the inflating ones better as it takes up uneven ground but can be prone to puntures.
Pillow, i use the ruck sack with soft travel pillow, for now, always interested in what other people use/have though

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
I use a exped 7 mat and never had an uncomfortable nights sleep only problem with it is it lacks proper insulation so i always place some insulation under it,and for my pillow i use a cheap fleece blow up travel pillow the kind you wear around your neck i find it fits perfectly inside the hood of my sleeping bag and does not move in the night.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've used a therm-a-rest trail lite for years, it is very good in terms if comfort and insulation. Quite bulky though now compared to the more modern pro-lite and neo-air which I saw for the first time the other day and was immediately envious of anyone who had one. I've seen bigger beer cans!
Never bothered with pillows though, a jumper in a stuff sack does the job just fine.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You've got to try one Rich if you've not done before, even the thinner ones are more comfortable than a CCF pad.

The Exped down ones are the comfiest I've ever tried, if you want something lighter then the NeoAir and PO Elite AC are worth a look, a bit pricey but nice

Gailainne

Life Member
You've got to try one Rich if you've not done before, even the thinner ones are more comfortable than a CCF pad.

The Exped down ones are the comfiest I've ever tried, if you want something lighter then the NeoAir and PO Elite AC are worth a look, a bit pricey but nice

Agree with Rich, the exped down mats are the bees knees, I'm on my 3rd, (they are pretty tough, but the cat using it as a claw sharpener doesnt help :( ).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Another vote for the exped down mats :D Just the best yet :)

Tempted by the pillow that matches. Humpback, are they well shaped or a bit like the beach ball that the usual blow up ones seem to be ?

cheers,
Toddy

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hmm these Exped down mat's look good, just had a look at a few on their website.

How do they fare for trekking, the rolled dimensions seem quite bulky or can you compress them further being down filled?

thanks!

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
The Exped 7lw i have is about half the size of my multimat inflatable when packed, however the Exped is about 3 times thicker and a whole lot more comfortable when inflated. Weight is considerably less as well for the Exped.

I only use a thin single pillow at home, so a small amount of clothing e.g. fleece or similar is plenty for me.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
The Exped 7lw i have is about half the size of my multimat inflatable when packed, however the Exped is about 3 times thicker and a whole lot more comfortable when inflated. Weight is considerably less as well for the Exped.

I only use a thin single pillow at home, so a small amount of clothing e.g. fleece or similar is plenty for me.

Cheers Pastymuncher, so how do they fare in wet weather, sufficiently waterproof?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hmm these Exped down mat's look good, just had a look at a few on their website.

How do they fare for trekking, the rolled dimensions seem quite bulky or can you compress them further being down filled?

thanks!

My 7DLX rolls down to roughly 16x22cm, it's a solid mass at that size so I doubt it'll go much smaller than the stuff sac.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I use a Pacific Outdoor air core mat when I sleep on the ground. It takes out the bumps well with 3" of suspension, but I'd like it to be warmer-it no good outside summer without a ccf or reflectix mat on top. Still much better than foam though for most camps.

An exped 7dlx downmat will be my next mat, without doubt.

For a pillow, a fleece in a stuff sack keeps my dribble off the mat.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'm about to invest in an Exped 9 but I'll still carry half a Karrimor 5 season kipmat as a backup. The kipmat can also be used as a sitmat so it still earns its place.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I have an MoD inflatable mat. At first I thought it was excellent and far better than my rollmat, but this autumn it grew a 'bubble' inside. Not a puncture, just where there has been some delamination inside I think, but it has gone from comfy to horrid. Possibly my own fault for trying to blow more air into it instead of just leaving it self-semi-inflate. I'm going to try using it for basic isolation underneath me in a hammock next season, with hardly any air in it at all so no bubbles, and see if it can at least be salvaged for some use.

The GF uses a McKinley branded inflatable mat, very similar concept except it folds differently and has straps and buckles on the outside to secure it, I was very jealous of this whilst sleeping (at least trying to) on my collection of air bubbles but it remains to be seen how it holds up long term.

Do these Exped mats actually have down inside them then as well as air, as some sort of insulation for below you? I keep on hearing good things about them, but wouldn't the down just collect moisture over time and end up a mess?

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Exped down is shear luxury!
I use it both for ground dwelling and inside my hammock - it gives all the insulation I need even in the snow and frosts.
Hard wearing, comfy, warm, light enough .... but not all that small to pack away - but then I do not go lightweight or tiny pack trekking these days :)
I also use Multi Mat self inflating mats - which are bulkier and heavier than the exped but do the job fine.
Roll mats - for masochists only these days IMHO!
When I started camping your matress was made from your spare clothing, then it was open cell foam mats, then closed cell foam roll mats were invented, then self inflating mats, then down mats.
Each time I initially thought that the new mats were for wimps ...then tried one and was converted :)
I would be loath to give up my down mat now!
Tonight I will be under the trees in luxury... my down mat under me keeping me warm and comfy!:D

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Do these Exped mats actually have down inside them then as well as air, as some sort of insulation for below you? I keep on hearing good things about them, but wouldn't the down just collect moisture over time and end up a mess?

They do have down inside them, unless you get a synthetic filled one.
They also have an inbuilt pump (nothing complicated just a foam block and a couple of one way valves) which is to eliminate moisture getting inside from your breath . Unless you try pumping it up while under water the down should never get damp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE