indian meal???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
KIMBOKO said:
I may have confused you. I use Oatmeal which is already ground but not as fine as flour about as fine as coarse ground coffee which I parch in a pan.

But just to try I have parched both wheat and barley and then ground them to meal in a coffee mill. I only grind to the consistency of coarse coffee.
The wheat slightly pops and is delicious with sugar and chocolate. And in both cases the slight roasting gives and acceptable flavour. Note I have only done this as an experiment to find out the taste and have never had to live on these products.
Ground to quite a coarse meal you can put the dry powder in the mouth and take water to wash it down. But I would imagine a finer flour would be more difficult to use in that way.

From a brief look at a nutitional food website there isn't much to choose between them on a calorie or straight protein basis but I havn't investigated the type of protein or the minerals, enzymes or vitamins (some obviously destroyed by the parching process).

Thanks mate, this is quite an intersting Thread going on here!
cheers
Abbe

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
In the Uk if you check out the "use by" dates of White flour it is 12 months and 6 months for brown flour. The flours go stale after that time.
I know Flour isn't parched corn but the processes that go to make parched corn enhance the storage life of the grain.
I think that by heating the grain excess water is driven off and the enzymes are destroyed and perhaps some of the proteins and fats are converted to something that doesn't go stale or rancid.
I don't really know just my guess.

I'm sure Horace Kephart suggests that grains other than corn can be parched and made into pinole.
In the uk you can get Polenta which is a corn meal but I have never tried to use it to make Indian meal.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
KIMBOKO said:
I may have confused you. I use Oatmeal which is already ground but not as fine as flour about as fine as coarse ground coffee which I parch in a pan.

But just to try I have parched both wheat and barley and then ground them to meal in a coffee mill. I only grind to the consistency of coarse coffee.
The wheat slightly pops and is delicious with sugar and chocolate. And in both cases the slight roasting gives and acceptable flavour. Note I have only done this as an experiment to find out the taste and have never had to live on these products.
Ground to quite a coarse meal you can put the dry powder in the mouth and take water to wash it down. But I would imagine a finer flour would be more difficult to use in that way.

From a brief look at a nutitional food website there isn't much to choose between them on a calorie or straight protein basis but I havn't investigated the type of protein or the minerals, enzymes or vitamins (some obviously destroyed by the parching process).

Wild rice is also good for parching (the hand harvested - not the commerically processed). It pops almost like pop corn. Great stuff.

PG

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
pierre girard said:
Wild rice is also good for parching (the hand harvested - not the commerically processed). It pops almost like pop corn. Great stuff.

PG

Is parching only warming them up? Could you explain how long the process is with flour until it turned colour?

cheers
Abbe

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Abbe Osram said:
Is parching only warming them up? Could you explain how long the process is with flour until it turned colour?

cheers
Abbe

To "parch" means to dry; in this case to heat so as to drive off the water in the grain.

The opposite, to add water to the parched grain, is to "slake".

I think that heating starch, especially in the presence of citric acid, can crack long starch molecules into shorter sugar molecules. I'm not sure if that would happen by parching grains of rice, maize or wheat.

Supposedly, the early varieties of maize (corn) grown in the Americas, had blue or black kernels. Modern ornamental varieties often have bleu, black, red, orange or even a mosaic of all these colours on a single cob.

Here are a few links to seed suppliers for you, Abbe:

Keith

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Keith_Beef said:
To "parch" means to dry; in this case to heat so as to drive off the water in the grain.

The opposite, to add water to the parched grain, is to "slake".

I think that heating starch, especially in the presence of citric acid, can crack long starch molecules into shorter sugar molecules. I'm not sure if that would happen by parching grains of rice, maize or wheat.

Supposedly, the early varieties of maize (corn) grown in the Americas, had blue or black kernels. Modern ornamental varieties often have bleu, black, red, orange or even a mosaic of all these colours on a single cob.

Here are a few links to seed suppliers for you, Abbe:

Keith

Whow cool mate, thanks a lot for the info.!

cheers
Abbe

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Abbe Osram said:

cheers
Abbe

Parching is basically what you are doing when you pop pop-corn. Same process.

Don't know what you mean about turning color.

PG

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
KIMBOKO said:
I'm sure Horace Kephart suggests that grains other than corn can be parched and made into pinole.

Indeed he did. I followed his suggestion to parch rolled oats and then mill them fine (ish, about like wholemeal flour).

Works a treat, just toasted 'til it starts to darken and all the water is driven off.

Bland, but I rather like it...

Jim.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
According to Horace Kephart, Pinole, No-cake and Indian meal (there may be another as well) are just different names for the same product.
I thought you had a copy of "Camping and Woodcraft"?

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
KIMBOKO said:
According to Horace Kephart, Pinole, No-cake and Indian meal (there may be another as well) are just different names for the same product.
I thought you had a copy of "Camping and Woodcraft"?

Yes, I have it but I didnt see Pinole, not that I remember. But the book is so fat like the bible. One has to read it again and again. Do you know which page we are talking about, I could look it up myself.

cheers
Abbe

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
It was the first real book I bought as a teenager and it was well read and re-read so I know the content very well. I was only quoting from memory as I am at work. I think the question of Pinole etc is discussed in the concentrated foods section. I don't know the page number at the moment but I assume that it may vary depending on the edition.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE