Indian Crafts and Lore by Ben Hunt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a copy - a good children's intro ...of it's era (1960s) but could be seen as a bit racist these days...
some good craft ideas in there though - even plans for a 14' tipi!

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Interesting.
I enjoyed Two Little Savages by Ernest Thompson Seaton.
I imagine similarly dated in its language and attitude to First Nation.

What did it suggest for the tipi covering - it’s a lot of fabric.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Unbleached muslin or drill.

You are right, by our standards it is a problematic book, but I suspect it sent many kids off playing Indians as well as Cowboys.

Reactions: Pattree

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
I have a copy - a good children's intro ...of it's era (1960s) but could be seen as a bit racist these days...
some good craft ideas in there though - even plans for a 14' tipi!
Was it orange or orangey yellow colour hard back book. Near the beginning, it had how to carve a bear’s claw necklace out of a piece of wood (which involved burning the ends of the “claws”. It also had plans for a peace pipe, moccasins and much much more. If it is, I had it as a child in the early 70s. I’m just clearing my late mother’s house and will have a look, it may still be there. I remember always wanting to try some of the things in it, but they were beyond my capabilities as an 8 year old! Still have fond memories of it!:)

Reactions: bobnewboy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Was it orange or orangey yellow colour hard back book. Near the beginning, it had how to carve a bear’s claw necklace out of a piece of wood (which involved burning the ends of the “claws”. It also had plans for a peace pipe, moccasins and much much more. If it is, I had it as a child in the early 70s. I’m just clearing my late mother’s house and will have a look, it may still be there. I remember always wanting to try some of the things in it, but they were beyond my capabilities as an 8 year old! Still have fond memories of it!:)
That is the one!:)

Reactions: matarius777

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
That is the one!:)
A cracking book, and so informative, I’ll have a look for it today, I really hope it was kept. I remember last looking at it a good 30 years or so ago and being impressed by a book that was basically written for young kids!:) Oh dear, I think it’s gone, almost tempted to get another copy for nostalgia !:thumbsdown:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE