Improvement to the basic thumb loops

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lake

Jun 7, 2009
I've make yesterday this bearing block for my hand drill kit. I use it when i have short spindle ( must learn floating hands technique, but i'm too lazy ;) )
The wood is hard (Oak - Quercus petraea)

mj1qw6.jpg

nlr2wl.jpg

1z17eoh.jpg

6xywia.jpg

23o3ua.jpg

6qxmco.jpg

6egode.jpg

j9yetc.jpg

nv3ww5.jpg

Nice ember :)
j9ajih.jpg

Lake

Jun 7, 2009
John Fenna said:
Nice ember! Good idea!

Thank You John!

tobes01 said:
I love what you've achieved, but don't understand how that bearing block works? Please explain!

Thanks! This bearing block allows You to apply good downwards pressure, while spindle can freely rotate in the block( And You don't move your hands up and down) :)

Globetrotter.uk said:
Hey that looks cool or should I say HOT. How do you actually hold it?

Simply! :) You just put your thumbs in the loops and drill :)

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
OMG! You may have stumbled on something there that was forgotten from the ancients as it massively improves things. I would imagine that it would take quite a bit of effort to produce (find the correct type of wood, drill it out, make the cordage, carve the outsides, etc) but what an improvement!

Well done!

Lake

Jun 7, 2009
BushcraftBaird112 said:
Did you get this idea from Woodcraft Wanderings?
Yes mate.

OMG! You may have stumbled on something there that was forgotten from the ancients as it massively improves things. I would imagine that it would take quite a bit of effort to produce (find the correct type of wood, drill it out, make the cordage, carve the outsides, etc) but what an improvement!

Well done!

Thanks Chris! I just wanted to make it and try.

It works well ! :) Especially, when u have short spindle and don't know floating hands technique.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I think I get it -- it's an improved bearing block for bow-drill. Otherwise I'm stumped as to how your one 'spare' hand is going to spin the drill.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think I get it -- it's an improved bearing block for bow-drill. Otherwise I'm stumped as to how your one 'spare' hand is going to spin the drill.

It's not for bow-drill, but handdrill. The spare hand doesn't spin the drill, but is there to add more pressure on the hearth/spindle (drill). It also helps to keep the drill in place, as with flowing hands technique you stop spinning the drill, move them (hands) upwards to the top of the drill - add pressure and start drilling.
With the method Lake shows us you simply put your thumbs through the loops, add pressure and keep on drilling.

Pretty neat idea, which I definately must try :D

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Very good idea, I myself have a load of elder around but I can't find any that is long enough or straight enough so if I make one of these that solves it! Thanks :D

Maybe a video would be good to show the people that can't quite get how it works?

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Nah..still don't get it it fellas!
Help me out!
C da C

Do you understand how to use a hand drill?

Basically you do that but have the block on top of the spindle with your thumbs through the loops, then you just rub your hands backwards and forwards. Your hands won't move down the spindle as your thumbs are through the loops, but this also keeps pressure on the spindle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE